How Is This Cake Decorated?

Decorating By mtaylor1023 Updated 7 Jun 2013 , 4:03pm by Phamilymama

mtaylor1023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaylor1023 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 1:21am
post #1 of 8

A friend of mine wants me to make her son's wedding cake...Ahhhh. This is the cake they have decided on. From what I can see of the cake it looks like it is navy and black with the white dots. 

So Is the cake fondant or buttercream with the colors airbrushed on? And for the white dots are they buttercream dots or are they like fondant pearls? I'm a little scare of this cake!!

7 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 1:29am
post #2 of 8

AIf you look at the profile of the dots, you can see little "nipples" on them that indicate they are buttercream. The covering can be done either fondant or buttercream, and airbrushed. If you are going to try to paint the color on, you will need fondant.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 1:32am
post #3 of 8

My guess is it's all navy -- airbrushed light to dark.  Could be done in either fondant or BC, piped w/BC dots.

(Anna beat me to it!)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 1:41am
post #4 of 8

A

Original message sent by CWR41

My guess is it's all navy -- airbrushed light to dark.  Could be done in either fondant or BC, piped w/BC dots.

(Anna beat me to it!)

Whoo hoo! I beat you!! I mean, it's not race ;-)

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 6:05am
post #5 of 8

Isuspect that the base cake is all one colour, and the top just looks lighter because it's got more dots on it. I'd do it all in navy fondant and use royal icing for the dots.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 8

Anna...you must have a trained eye! I can't see the indent! LOL...but I like the cake...it looks beautiful! Is the customer wanting navy? I'm sure this would look good in any color though.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 8

I see all Navy - no black. But my eye definitely sees the color getting lighter as it goes up. Top tier looks a good bit lighter than bottom. Wow, those guests are going to have blue lips and teeth! Beautiful cake, though.

Phamilymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phamilymama Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 8

AI think it's all the same color. It looks lighter on top because of the flash from the camera.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%