Sheet Cake With A Upper Tier????

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 10 Jun 2013 , 3:50pm by arlenej

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 17

AHi Cakers!

Have any of you made a sheet cake with an smaller round tier on top?

Wondering what your thoughts on it was?? Pictures??

16 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79 

Hi Cakers!

Wondering what your thoughts on it was?? Pictures??

I think it would look just perfect set for a Walmart wedding where they get married among the flowers in plastic pots and price tags in Lawn and Garden.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79 

Yes.  Many brides can't afford tiered wedding cakes so they go with a 100-serving full sheet with a 6" on top to freeze for their 1st anniversary.  If it's decorated nicely, it doesn't look tacky.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 17

Perhaps I should specify... I don't know if I've ever made one for a birthday, but I've made many for weddings for the budget reason I've previously mentioned.

Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 17

AIts for someone turning 91. this was requested. Just wondering. Thanks for the input.

cakeroo57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroo57 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 17

AI have also made one for a 80 yr old and it was also decorated nice that way the birthday person has a small cake to take home:)

maryintucson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryintucson Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 17

This may not help much since yours is a birthday cake. I'd never seen that done before this cake. (A small tier on a sheet cake.) It's not my style but when I complimented the lady that made it I was sincere. I think she did a fine job. People like different things. I personally think it's a bit crass to put down this style of cake. This was made with love by a dear friend of a dear friend for a (coming) grandbaby's shower. To each their own. :)

maryintucson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryintucson Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 17

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of sending the person of honor home with their own little tier. That's clever! (I don't get out much hehe.) 

RJHRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RJHRN Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 17

AI have done one cake this way. It was for a company grand opening cake. The smaller top cake was covered with an icing picture of the company logo.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 17

This isn't with a round on top but it is tiered sheet cakes :)

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/1383530/a/1384530/

RJHRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RJHRN Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 17

AWOW Haven't seen a cake like that before. Not sure how I feel about that look. Definitely looks " homemade" .

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 11:53pm
post #12 of 17

I did a sheet cake with double heart cakes on it for an anniversary party.  It was my first time putting fondant on the heart cakes and I did not really like the way it turned out.  Everybody else loved it.  I needed to do more work on the hearts to define them.  It should be in my pictures.

Mikel79 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 10:22am
post #13 of 17

I appreciate the pictures and feedback.

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 12:37am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I think it would look just perfect set for a Walmart wedding where they get married among the flowers in plastic pots and price tags in Lawn and Garden.

I don't really see any difference if it is a sheet cake or a square cake on the bottom. It is simply a shape. It all depends on how it is decorated. A stacked round cake can look tacky if not done correctly!

I like the baby cake. It is cute.

Mikel79 Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 1:10am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestomuch 

I don't really see any difference if it is a sheet cake or a square cake on the bottom. It is simply a shape. It all depends on how it is decorated. A stacked round cake can look tacky if not done correctly!

I like the baby cake. It is cute.

=)

Agreed.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 3:17pm
post #16 of 17

Yes, I did them frequently for low-income brides and to kick up birthday cakes.  As stated earlier, when decorated right, they can be beautiful.

My favorite was the one I made for my in-laws anniversary.  Hubby committed me to making one before he realized I already had 3 wedding cakes and 2 caterings that weekend, so all I could do was throw together a sheet cake with a 6" tier for him to take with him to their celebration. MIL loved it .... they never had a wedding cake when they got married and in her eyes, this was the most beautiful cake ever made for her.

Never overlook the value as seen in the eyes of the receiver.  :-)  

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 3:50pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

Here is one I saw on the internet. You did not specify whether this is for a birthday or wedding cake.

http://www.sweetwoodsbakery.com/images/Cakes/Weddings123/31%20Rose%20Sheet%20Wedding%20Cake%20Image.jpg

I didn't think this would work untill I saw this pic. Now I'm thinking;

1) an 8'' upper 

2) put the upper on pillers

3) MUST the upper be round? a square could look better maybe? Esp. if it's angled

4) I LOVE the idea of the take-home cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%