Long Distance Weddjng Cake

Decorating By mysticpalm Updated 10 Jun 2013 , 6:12pm by mysticpalm

mysticpalm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysticpalm Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 5

AHi all! I am new to the forum and need help from the experts out there!

Wanted to make the weddjng cake jn advance and transport 1300 miles in cooler. Has anyone done this? If so, please provide steps. 1. Do I bake the cakes put a crumb coat on then freeze the cakes? 2. Will they be moist? 3. How do you wrap them for long distance travel? It is going to be a fondant cake. Was going to use indydebi frosting underneath.

Any advise would be appreciated!

4 replies
Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

I have never transported a cake anywhere near this long but this might help. These are some important questions: How long are you planning to take to drive this? Do you have A/C in your car and will it be really humid? Does it have a perishable filling?  If it is tiered you probably do not want to transport with it fully stacked.

Some people do like putting the cake in the freezer before applying fondant so they get nice edges and the condensation helps it stick but I usually don't unless the kitchen is really hot and/or the BC is almost melting. One thing I have heard of is wrapping the cake in plastic and putting it in a box and then putting dry ice in the cooler with it. Oh and btw some people on here do not like the word "moist"icon_biggrin.gif see "Things not to ask/say to a baker" I think it is.

mysticpalm Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 5

AHi Texan Aunt!

Thanks for your reply and appreciate the advise!

Here are the answers to your questions: 1. Drive will be done in 2 days 2. We have ac in the car and the area we are driving through is dry until closer into California to the beach. 3. Will be tiered with no perishable fillings. Would you suggest freezing then pulling out morning of and crumb coating then. Also would you wait until you get there to put fondant on?

Dry ice is a great idea!

Thank you for letting me know about things not to say. I have baked for a long time and did not think before asking.

Again, I appreciate any feedback!

Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 5

I would definitely put the fondant on before leaving it's a lot easier to move them without fingerprints/smudges I don't think you'll need to freeze them. The fondant will also keep the cakes from drying out too much more so than just BV. You do have a big plus that it is pretty dry and so the fondant shouldn't have any humidity issues. Before you start out on the second day you might think about getting some more ice to be safe and keep it nice and cold. Another thing I thought of: double check/measure your car and cooler to make sure it all fits before you start loading, once I have had to do some last minute reworking when I thought all the boxes would fit and I didn't measure:p It sounds like you should be able to do a great job on this. Please post a picture when you get it done!

mysticpalm Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 5

AThanks for all your help and advise. I really appreciate it! I will post a picture when it happens next month.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%