Fondant Too Soft - Need Help

Decorating By bcwalti Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 7:20pm by bcwalti

bcwalti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcwalti Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 6

I wanted to make a 2D cake with a cowboy theme today. In the end I succeeded, but along the way the fondant really drove me nuts! It was just sooo soft, that it was almost impossible to cut shapes out of it. I know that for very intricate details I would have to use flower paste, but I was trying to cut out 2 inch cowboy boots and a 1.5 inch cowboy hat and it was quite difficult.

I've used two different types of fondant: For a few things, I've used  some pre-colored Renshaw fondant. Does anyone have experience with the consistency of Renshaw against other brands? The black fondant in particular was really horrible to work with.

I've also used some white Regal Icing which I then colored myself (only for light colors). I've used liquid food colors (which you probably tell me is a problem, but I've used these liquid colors for years and never had a problem with fondant consistency, as long as I didn't try to go for a deep dark color.) I've also added some additional icing sugar to the white fondant to prevent it from sticking when I added food colors.

Or is the problem that it's summer? But it really was not a particularly hot and humid day. It was about 60 F today and not humid.

Is there anything I can add to the fondant when it is this soft to make it firmer? Put it in the freezer? Leave it out in the air to dry out a bit? Mix it with flower paste? (It was so soft that I think I would require lots and lots of flower paste to get a decent firmness.)

I'm just quite confused. I've been making fondant cakes for several years now, and never had as much problems as today. Granted, normally I make 3D designs, not 2D things that need to be cut out, but it should be possible to cut some fondant shapes out, no?

I'd really appreciate your help with this. Thanks a lot :-)

5 replies
pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 6

I have never heard of Renshaw Fondant but I do notice you are overseas :) I use Duff Fondant sometimes and it is always REALLY soft. Especially in the Florida Summer heat. What I do to make it more bearable for rolling out shapes etc. is I either knead in some powdered sugar to make it more firm or if I have it available I use gumpaste (flower paste) to make it more firm. Hope this helps!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure if Renshaw make their fondant to different recipes in the UK as opposed to Switzerland, but I haven't found Renshaw icing too soft, until just this latest time it was softer than normal.  Still plenty firm enough to cut shapes out of, though.  Not sure what can be causing your problems.

As far as I'm aware, though, Regal Ice and Renshaw are just two different names for the same brand - over here Regal Ice is now "Renshaw Professional".

DORI2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DORI2000 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 3:38am
post #4 of 6

hello, you should use a homemade fondant. I'm always making a fondant at home and never have a problem with it. And I use special fondant colours. Check this - I explain how you can make a homemade fondant.

Good luck.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 3:42am
post #5 of 6

Add some tylose powder to the fondant, it will stiffen it up.  It hardens the fondant, though, so if you need it to be soft try adding some powdered sugar.  I have  alsoheard cornstarch will also stiffen up fondant.

bcwalti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcwalti Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the answers. I will try corn starch and tylose (separately - not together).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%