Any Allergy Free Bakers Out There!?

Lounge By Baking Queen Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 4:26pm by jason_kraft

Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 1:27am
post #1 of 7

AHello everyone! I was just curious to see if anyone out there has any tips and advice for us allergy free bakers and wanted to start a thread and hopefully a discussion on help,advice, and tips on allergy free baking! Would anyone be interested in starting a forum on this topic? I personally love that idea!? Anyone new to mixing up there own gluten free all-purpose flours? Anyone have any imput on great gluten free flours? Did you all know there are several different exotic flours to chose from ,such as quinoa flour and amaranth flour! :)

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:05am
post #2 of 7

AI plan on writing an article on my blog (link below) on this topic within the next few weeks. I co-founded an allergy-friendly in San Jose, CA and we offered nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and/or soy-free products depending on the customer's allergies.

We created our own gluten-free mix that consisted of white rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum.

Baking Queen Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:59am
post #3 of 7

AThat's great!! Thanks for your reply:) Wow what an achievement to own a bakery that caters to virtually anyone! Wish I could have the courage to start one lol. oh and I don't see a link do you mean on your profile page??

Baking Queen Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 1:00am
post #4 of 7

AAnyone else out there??!

jason_kraft Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 1:32am
post #5 of 7

AHere is the link to my blog, I haven't written the article about allergies yet: http://jasonkraftblog.wordpress.com/

The web site for the allergy-friendly bakery is below, we sold it in 2011 but it is still running: http://www.allergyfriendlypastries.com/

Baking Queen Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 7

AWow what a beautiful bakery that is! Was it hard to be able to incorporate all those different recipes to make them allergy free?! I would absolutely love to be able to own an allergy free bakery someday. How did you begin to make your recipes? I thought eggfree cakes couldn't work properly..or could they with a flax egg(which I use in my baking)? Thanks for your two great links! Very much appreciated and helpful;)

jason_kraft Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 7

AThanks! We actually started out with two sets of recipes: dairy-free/nut-free and egg-free/dairy-free/nut-free. Based on market demand we added gluten/dairy/nut-free, gluten/egg/dairy/nut-free (made with tofu), and gluten/egg/dairy/soy/nut-free (made with flaxseed). Egg-free is actually pretty easy since you can use baking soda and vinegar to replace the eggs.

After the recipe R&D (which took several months) the most difficult part is avoiding cross-contamination, both in terms of sourcing ingredients from allergy-conscious manufacturers and setting up your own processes to segregate allergens. By necessity we had to limit how many orders we could accept.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%