How Long Is Cake Fresh

Decorating By Crissielyn Updated 1 Jun 2013 , 1:46pm by Crissielyn

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,

I am doing a four tiered cake for an event on Thursday afternoon.  I have no way of getting to done if its not done this weekend. 

The cake will have no perishable fillings (just BC) and will be sealed in fondant.  My plan is to bake the cakes today (Saturday), freeze today, and then defrost and ice tonight or tomorrow, then cover in fondant tomorrow.

Do you think this will be ok?  The cakes will basically be defrosted and sealed in fondant for approximately four days (possibly 5).

Much thanks.

3 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 4

ADepends on your cake.

I can bake on Monday & mine are delicious until the next Monday. I'm not familiar with iPods so don't know if you will ha e similar results.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 4

I could not sell someone a cake that has been sitting out for four days.  That is just my own personal preference.

The rule of thumb I've read before is, a baked and iced cake is at it's best for first three days unrefrigerated, or with refrigeration for one week.

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 4

I have always stayed with the three day rule, but this time I am going to require one extra day.  

This cake is not for sale, but it is for an event that is important to me and I still need to taste good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%