Liqour Cake

Decorating By webby2013 Updated 15 Jun 2013 , 2:58pm by webby2013

webby2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webby2013 Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 6

hi ppl i am after an idea for a liqour based cake and what variations i could do ?

i thought of a chocolate sponge with a baileys irish cream bc but will the baileys be ok mixing it with the buttercream ?

i would like to use a liqour in a sponge but dont know what i could use and how it would turn out and taste.

any ideas would be greatly appriciated thanx

5 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 6

once upon a time I tried adding the liquor to cake batter....it gets totally changed.icon_sad.gif  I now brush the liquor on layers of already baked cake. ( watch out you want a dryer type cake to absorbe the liquor or you will end up with mush!!!) Yes you can add bailey's and other liquors to frosting but you need to experiment because of the amount of liquid it is.  I use irish whiskey and some milk or whipping cream to add to frosting,,or kahlua or cognac or ... whatever you like.  The trick is to balance the sweetness and amount of liquid but I tend to do homemade bc frostings with part high ratio shortening and part butter.  The nice part is plain liquor helps cut the sweetness of all that icing sugar. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 6

IMBC is easy to add liquor too, as it can take a lot of liquid.

I prefer a simple syrup brushed or spritzed over a cake when I want to add a liquor to it, in my experience it gets sort of lost when baked right in.

I do it over sponge with no problem, you just have to be light handed.

webby2013 Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 6

yeah i thought itmight change the texture if i dont use a dense cake (like pound cake) but wasnt sure what lquor i could use and how i would do it brushing it on the cakes sounds like the better option and as for the buttercream i will experiment firsr thanx for your help icon_biggrin.gif

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 29 May 2013 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 6

while you experiment with the icing/frosting remember 1 shot for chef 1 for the frostingicon_biggrin.gif...well someone has to taste it ...just don't drive after too much experimentation!  I believe Jameson's or Guiness or.... make the best icings.  ( I don't drink it I only eat it!!)  Let us know what combinations you like.  Will say rum also works well and if using fruits for a cake I will use a fruit type liquor.  Chambord is really good.

webby2013 Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 6

A1 cup for chef more like lol I tried the irish cream and rum they tasted gd I did tje irish cream frosting on chocolate sponge with a chocolater ganach filling mmmmmmm and the rum frosting on a plain sponge with raisins also mmmmmmm had no complaints wondered why my guests where lying on the floor might of been abit to much liqour lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%