How Can I Keep Decorated Cakes Fresh For Three Days?

Decorating By Mojosippi

Mojosippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mojosippi Posted 29 May 2013 , 11:56am
post #1 of 1

AI have a similar problem as the last person that posted. The only difference is that I have 2 cakes to make and 48 cupcakes. I'm not a professional but I enjoy doing it. My friends and their friends and so on, all ask me to make their cakes and I just so happened to have two people that need a cake and 2 dozen cupcakes for the same day. I already have them baked(baked them yesterday). They are crumb coated and in the freezer right now. I'm not so worried about the cupcakes because they are pretty basic and I know I can decorate them pretty quickly. The cakes, on the other hand, are both sort of detailed. The first is a half sheet cake and I am hand drawing Thomas the Train on it. She didn't want the 3d, plastic decorations that just sit on top of the cake. So I thought I'd just do a freezer transfer in buttercream. Any other ideas on how to do this to save time? The second cake is a Minnie Mouse themed cake. It will be three tiers. 10",8 ", and the top will be the hat and ears. I am using buttercream for this one as well with just a few fondant decorations for ribbons around the base of each tier, polka dots on the cakes and also to cover the ears. Sorry that was so long. I just wanted you to be able to visualize my project. So the problem is that I have 5 kids, one being a toddler and time is some what limited. I need to start decorating these cakes but I'm worried about keeping them fresh. Are they ok at room temperature if I cover them? I guess I'd have to cover the 3 tiered cake with a box or something. Or do they need to be refrigerated? I know they don't HAVE to be refrigerated since its buttercream but I'm just concerned for freshness. They are both due on Saturday which is 3 days from now. Any ideas on preserving these cakes as I work on them till then?

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%