Am I Legally Responsible For The Finished Product?

Business By melanie-1221 Updated 9 Jul 2013 , 8:08pm by carmijok

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:48am
post #61 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

I hate that stand.

Hey, hey hey! I have that stand! Actually, the only thing I use it for is my samples at my bridal show booths. It looks cute like that, but yeah, really stupid with actual cake on it.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:54am
post #62 of 80

ALol!

Every time I see that stand being used I always think - the eighties called and they want their cake back!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 10:32am
post #63 of 80

A

Original message sent by Godot

I hate that stand.

Me too, it looks super cheap.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 11:27am
post #64 of 80

Without the stand it might not have been too bad...it is another ' you get what you pay for ' examples. 

At least the flowers were what she wanted.icon_biggrin.gif  

Pretty sure the cake wasn't what she was expecting or there would be more photo's of it, or at least one she would post.

She is a friend of a friend so someday I'm sure I'll have the chance to chat with her and find out what really happened with her cake...

slapsappyhappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slapsappyhappy Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:24pm
post #65 of 80

AThe stand is terrible but the cake itself isn't bad. Your flowers made it look good!

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:54pm
post #66 of 80

The stand is awful and dated. I'm sure she was very disappointed unless she's living in a time warp. 

ps- your flowers made that cake so much nicer!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 3:30pm
post #67 of 80

She should have saved the money she spent on that awful red satin and spent it getting a decent cake from you, even if it meant having less or no flowers on it, since I'm sure the flowers were probably quite a lot.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 4:20pm
post #68 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

Lol!

Every time I see that stand being used I always think - the eighties called and they want their cake back!!

I always just think the decorator can't stack a cake properly.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 12:46am
post #69 of 80

A

Original message sent by Elcee

I always just think the decorator can't stack a cake properly.

My thoughts exactly

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 3:04am
post #70 of 80

I wouldn't want professional photos of that either. What a let down!

melanie-1221 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 3:36am
post #71 of 80

Thanks everyone! I put a lot of work into those darn flowers.( not to mention lost sleep worrying about my legal ties to the finished product )  At least she was happy with the flowers , I can't imagine she was too thrilled with the cake though. Especially after comparing it to the photo of the cake she wanted. 

Very frustrating when people penny pinch on the cake then come to find out they had enough money to hire a band to come to NY from Canada to perform at the reception. 

I think I know where the original cake budget went....detective.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 5:11am
post #72 of 80

Ooooh deaarrrrr lorrrd.

Nope, not the same. Not nearly. Not even close. Is it even fondant covered?

I imagined that the cascade would be thinner (not as wide) to account for the lack of flowers. I did not expect that the other caker wouldn't even stack the cakes.

The stand is bigger than the cakes. Who does that?

The way the flowers are arranged make it look like a birthday or other occasion cake- not a wedding cake.

Do you think the bride saw a portfolio of this person's work before the order was placed.

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 6:23am
post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie-1221 

Thanks everyone! I put a lot of work into those darn flowers.( not to mention lost sleep worrying about my legal ties to the finished product )  At least she was happy with the flowers , I can't imagine she was too thrilled with the cake though. Especially after comparing it to the photo of the cake she wanted. 

Very frustrating when people penny pinch on the cake then come to find out they had enough money to hire a band to come to NY from Canada to perform at the reception. 

I think I know where the original cake budget went....detective.gif

Oh, how I hate when people do that! I would rather have a DJ or just an ipod on shuffle and a beautiful, yummy cake. A band and bad cake... wow...

melanie-1221 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 11:40am
post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize 

Ooooh deaarrrrr lorrrd.

Nope, not the same. Not nearly. Not even close. Is it even fondant covered?

I imagined that the cascade would be thinner (not as wide) to account for the lack of flowers. I did not expect that the other caker wouldn't even stack the cakes.

The stand is bigger than the cakes. Who does that?

The way the flowers are arranged make it look like a birthday or other occasion cake- not a wedding cake.

Do you think the bride saw a portfolio of this person's work before the order was placed.

When the bride came to pick up the flowers I did have a chance to ask who was doing the cake and a few details. She told me the new baker wasn't going to do fondant because she said in the heat it would just " turn to glue".

Mind you we are in NY and it was only in the high 70's and an indoor air conditioned reception.icon_wink.gif

I gave her a confused look and told her I do fondant no matter what the temp gets here. I then looked on facebook at the bakers cakes, everything she has done has been buttercream, I'm thinking she just doesn't do fondant and talked her way out of it.

Not sure if the bride had seen the bakers other work but I think she just heard big cake and less money and got excited.

I was expecting the same, a thin cascade, but same cake overall. 

I would have been PISSED if I got to my reception and saw that.

melanie-1221 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 11:45am
post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Oh, how I hate when people do that! I would rather have a DJ or just an ipod on shuffle and a beautiful, yummy cake. A band and bad cake... wow...

I get pretty irritated when I get worked over on a cake , then when I go to deliver it I see they have every other bell and whistle at the wedding and a full blown 5 star reception. But they only budgeted like $200 for the cake ?!? icon_mad.gif

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:21pm
post #76 of 80
Quote:

Me too! I'd have an Ipod shuffle (or even my cousin playing DJ with his playlist) and a gorgeous cake..that's a no brainer to me as well.

Quote:

When the bride came to pick up the flowers I did have a chance to ask who was doing the cake and a few details. She told me the new baker wasn't going to do fondant because she said in the heat it would just " turn to glue".

Mind you we are in NY and it was only in the high 70's and an indoor air conditioned reception.icon_wink.gif

I gave her a confused look and told her I do fondant no matter what the temp gets here. I then looked on facebook at the bakers cakes, everything she has done has been buttercream, I'm thinking she just doesn't do fondant and talked her way out of it.

Not sure if the bride had seen the bakers other work but I think she just heard big cake and less money and got excited.

I was expecting the same, a thin cascade, but same cake overall. 

I would have been PISSED if I got to my reception and saw that.

I almost feel sorry for the bride  ( I would have cried inside if I saw that cake on my wedding day) for going for a baker with zero fondant skills  (amongst her other lacking skills) and for using that stand...but then again it was her choice to switch to a less experienced baker/decorator. It's the classic story of "you get what you pay for". 

At least the bride was gracious enough to let you know that your flowers were beautiful. I'm sure she regretted not having you do the entire cake.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 1:25pm
post #77 of 80

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I'm sure many of her guests were thinking the same thing...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 4:18pm
post #78 of 80

Fondant vs buttercream wouldn't make a difference for that cake if it was inside in the air conditioning. A lot of people who do fondant can't do buttercream...It seems like this person can't do either very well.

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 5:06pm
post #79 of 80
Quote:

Quote:

I get pretty irritated when I get worked over on a cake , then when I go to deliver it I see they have every other bell and whistle at the wedding and a full blown 5 star reception. But they only budgeted like $200 for the cake ?!? icon_mad.gif

Oh man, I know! I got worked over pretty well in January for a March cake...Every little thing was picked at and prodded to see if she could get a bit more cash to fall out of it. From homemade roses to silk (HELL NO!) to purchased gum paste, then an elaborate piped design to scrolls and ribbon, and fancy rented plateau ($35) to a dishwasher skid wrapped in a tablecloth, and then the delivery "didn't seem fair".... I get there, after driving the wrong way for 20 miles, and the table wasn't set up, so I helped and the table was the wrong table, so I had to wait for the right one, and then wait for tablecloths, then pick lint off of it....Meanwhile, the bride arrives in her stretched limo, and comes out on her designer gown with lace and bling, and her hair was amazing, with little diamonds in it and her shoes were crusted in bling... Then the flowers get there and I almost swooned when the "team" came in to set them up. orchids. of course.... Never again! I will NEVER AGAIN get worked over for a cake!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 8:08pm
post #80 of 80

If that baker didn't do fondant she just should have said she didn't do it.  It would not have improved the look of that cake at all.    This person should also have mentioned she couldn't do buttercream either because a well done buttercream cake is just as lovely as anything covered in fondant. 

The tiers were too short, they were on an UGLY cheap stand and the flowers were not displayed well.  At least the flowers were there and added color. 

It's quite a sad display.  No wonder there are no professional photos.  She should have gone to Walmart.  This is one time I think they could have done a better job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%