Fondant

Decorating By Cakestable Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 1:10pm by cakealicious7

Cakestable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakestable Posted 28 May 2013 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 21

Hi all,

I am new to cake making and I have been using homemade MMF fondant.  Lately fondant is started to crack on the edges and I feel like stop making cake for this reason. Can anyone recommend what I can do to rectify this issue? I was thinking about buying fondant than making but not sure which brand to get it.  Can someone recommend that too.. I live in Ottawa, Canada.  Thanks

20 replies
kgraham22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgraham22 Posted 28 May 2013 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 21

I'm having this same problem with Satin Ice and Wilton brand fondants.  It's tearing before I can even begin smoothing.  I end up with big cracks when doing tall cakes.  Any ideas?

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 28 May 2013 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 21

AIt could possibly be because your taking too long working with it, also knead well so the warmth of your hands can ' reactivate ' it again. I've also heard great things about THE MAT - why don't you try investing in one? Hope that helped a little bit!!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 28 May 2013 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 21

I find this used to happen to me a lot when I used powdered sugar and/or cornstarch while rolling to prevent sticking.  I would always end up with dried, cracking fondant.  Lately I use shortening on my hands when I knead the fondant before rolling, and have had zero issues with cracking.  So if you are using powdered sugar or cornstarch, I would stop doing that and see if it helps.

Cakestable Posted 28 May 2013 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 21

AI use shorting but that doesn't help me. Could be the thickness of the fondant or the receipt of marshmallow fondant? Can you guys share your receipt? I am going look into THE MAT. Thank you guys

ecb8r2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecb8r2 Posted 28 May 2013 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 21

I use to have that problem too, but now I microwave my fondant for about 15-20 seconds before I use it.  It makes it really soft again Kneed for a few seconds. I used tons of powdered sugar on my table and roll it out fast (it's really easy since it's so soft). Keep sprinkling the top with powdered sugar too so the roller doesn't stick. I roll it out kind of thick because it kind of stretches it while I'm covering it.  It turns out great with no cracks or puckering. Hope that helps

Crissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissa Posted 28 May 2013 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 21

I invested in The Mat and I LOVE it.  It does take practice...I had to roll my fondant out 3 times the 1st time I used it...so just be aware.  But, I get better at it each time I use it.  I use it with homemade - both MMF and MFF and you can take your time, which helps when you have 2 little ones!

SweetTBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTBakes Posted 28 May 2013 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 21

I used to use the Wilton ready to roll fondant but I found that not only did it taste bad but some packs of it were dryer than others and cracked. Using homemade MMF recipe from CC with marshmallows, water, and powdered sugar did the trick for me. I can really work with it.  Good luck! Don't give up.  

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:30am
post #9 of 21

AI spray my surface with a little Pam when I roll out fondant. Haven't had any problem with cracking & tearing.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:58am
post #10 of 21

Just FYI: Satin Ice reportedly should not be kneaded too much or it justs bubbles in it.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:09am
post #11 of 21

There are other brands, such as Fonderic.

Cakestable Posted 29 May 2013 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks. I will try  MMF recipe from CC and see how that works for me.  Where can i get little PAM?

auntginn Posted 29 May 2013 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 21

Pam is a non-stick cooking spray.  You can use any brand available to you in your area.

kgraham22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgraham22 Posted 30 May 2013 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 21

I do use the mat.  I was covering a large cake, and went to edges of mat.

cakealicious7 Posted 30 May 2013 , 9:33pm
post #15 of 21

AMaybe your rolling it out too thin??

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 31 May 2013 , 1:12pm
post #16 of 21

Also, I find if you roll out too big of a piece, the hanging can cause your fondant to tear.  I always cut off the excess as quickly as possible and have had much fewer problems.

I use this mat:  http://www.globalsugarart.com/professional-silicone-fondant-mat-red-by-fat-daddio-p-26381.html  It doesn't get creases in it like The Mat, and nothing sticks to it.  Also, I use Satin Ice and have never had issues with it.  I used to use MMF, but I could never get the same consistancy - sometimes it was great and sometimes it was a nightmare.  Good luck!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 1:19am
post #17 of 21

Hmm... it could very well be the type of fondant that is causing cracking too.  I normally make MFF fondant and have no problems (with shortening greased hands).  This weekend I didn't have time to make some and bought the Kwik fondant from Bulk Barn.  Covered one tier and got cracks on the edges.  How frustrating!!

Before I covered the next tier, I mixed the fondant with some modelling chocolate and ended up with some perfect fondant and no cracks.  I think I'll be doing this more often!

auntginn Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 5:32pm
post #18 of 21

Jennicake, will have to try that, never thought of mixing the 2.

Cakestable Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:34pm
post #19 of 21

I think I have been rolling too  thin and too big.  I just ordered THE MAT and hope for the BEST!!

Cakestable Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:37pm
post #20 of 21

For the  last order i used Flour Confections's fondant and had no issue.  I bought 10 kg for 50 bucks.

cakealicious7 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 1:10pm
post #21 of 21

AThats good news!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%