Please Help!

Decorating By bakingmywaytowealth Updated 25 May 2013 , 7:53pm by Lovelyladylibra

bakingmywaytowealth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmywaytowealth Posted 25 May 2013 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 6

I'm baking a two tiered cake.

10 & 8 in" rounds. The thing is it has to feed 75 ppl.

SO I was thinking to do two 10 in" rounds at the bottom. My question is this will turn into a four layered cake if I dont seperate it. How do I seperate the two 10 in" that will essentially look like one tier under the fondant? I was thinking I could seperate each 10 in with a cardboard round in the middle but as my husband pointed out the bottom cake wont have any fondant on it and the icing would be messed up once the cardboard is removed. So how do I make this two tiered cake for 75 ppl?

Sorry... I hope this isnt confusing.

Please help!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2013 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 6

Two 10" rounds is the NORMAL cake size for a tier.  (Tiers are usually 4" tall.  Some are taller.)  

What you have proposed serves 62.  Are reason not to just do a three tier and add a 6" on top?

bakingmywaytowealth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmywaytowealth Posted 25 May 2013 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

What you have proposed serves 62.  Are reason not to just do a three tier and add a 6" on top?

Thanks for your reply.

Initally the customer wanted one tier but I told her that would not be enough or look right. So she said two tiers.

I am very much so an amatuer so just want to make sure I am doing it all correct. I've made tiered cakes before but smaller and they have come out great.

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 25 May 2013 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 6

It sounds like you're wanting to do an extended tier 10" cake for the bottom and top it with the 8" round? The lower cake will still have frosting and fondant if you separate the cakes at the cardboard round. When you get to that layer, make a cut all the way around the fondant and lift the top cake off (cardboard round and all) to cut and serve. The top of the bottom tier might not be very pretty, but it still should have frosting and fondant. Try and google how to serve extended tier cakes. That should help give you a visual if what I'm saying doesn't make sense.

Here's an old thread about extended tier cakes, might help you with more detailed info.

http://cakecentral.com/t/723840/double-barrel-extended-tier-cakes-probably-silly-questions

Step-by-step tutorial for visual reference.

http://partycakescanberra.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/tutorial-how-to-make-a-double-barrel-cake/

Hope it helps! icon_smile.gif

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 May 2013 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 6

Well, why not do a 12"x4" and an 8"x4", 2 tier cake?  That's 80 (wedding) servings.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 25 May 2013 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 6

Sounds like you want to make a 10" double barely cake? just google double barrel cake and there's plenty of tutorials.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%