Why Did My Fondant Decorations Soften?

Decorating By jatctt Updated 24 May 2013 , 10:53pm by tarttokig

jatctt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jatctt Posted 24 May 2013 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 9

Last night I finished up some cupcakes my putting on the fondant decorations. Then I  was all paranoid that my cardboard bakery boxes would dry out my cupcakes so I put them in an airtight container.

This morning when I uncovered them the fondant had a slight sheen and some of the curled ribbons were droopy. :(

Was this from sealing them or from putting them on the BC too soon?

This is from last night, now the ribbons are laying down and stars are softer. They still look good but I want to prevent this in the future.

8 replies
neida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neida Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 9

AI had some problems like you last month and thinks was for temperature because was very bad weather time don't know if you have the same problem

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 9

My guess is both.  The fondant probably absorbed some moisture from the buttercream AND being sealed kept the moisture in.  You can keep dry fondant toppers alone in a sealed container, but the moisture from the buttercream and cupcakes had no where to go but in to the toppers.  Very pretty cupcakes though!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 9

Those plastic "clamshell" cupcake containers are super air tight...and will keep cupcakes super fresh...but I had them soften my fondant topper before.   If I recall, the topper hadn't sat and got super hard so I'm not sure if that was the reason.   Now, I put my fondant topper on at the last minute. 

MELROSE315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELROSE315 Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 9

AI had that problem with some fondant Dinosaurs and their legs broke off! Now I make all my cupcake decorations out of gumpaste .. It doesn't soften once it dries... Most people don't eat that part anyway.

rurra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rurra Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 9

That's because you covered them. My suggestion is to keep them in the box but leave the box a little open.

jatctt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jatctt Posted 24 May 2013 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you everyone!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 May 2013 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurra 

That's because you covered them. My suggestion is to keep them in the box but leave the box a little open.

^^^This.  You just can't store fondant decorations in an airtight environment without them wilting.

tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 24 May 2013 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 9

The science geek in me wants to chip in ;) the reason cupcakes and cake goes dry is because the water in them starts to evaporate. If you keep it in an airtight container, the water will soak into the cake again. If you have fondant in there, some of the water will soak into the fondant instead, making it softer.

Sorry you needed to hear that, just wanted to get it off my chest ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%