Target Wedding Dress?

Business By vgcea Updated 23 May 2013 , 4:57pm by jgifford

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 May 2013 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 14

AI guess this would be the wedding dress version of Walmart and Fiesta wedding cakes? If there's a Cake Central version for wedding dress designers, I wonder what they think about how this may affect their businesses.

[URL=http://shine.yahoo.com/the-thread-how-to/target-s-new-affordable-wedding-gowns-165901383.html]http://shine.yahoo.com/the-thread-how-to/target-s-new-affordable-wedding-gowns-165901383.html[/URL]

As with the grocery store wedding cakes, I'm just glad folks who can't afford much would still be able to have a wedding cake or dress at prices within their budgets.

13 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 May 2013 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 14

Good! Then they can spend more on the cake!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 22 May 2013 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 14

dude. i would have totally gotten a cheaper dress (providing it looked passable) just to spend more money on food, bar and photography.  Heck...as soon as we said our vows and did after-ceremony photos, I climbed a tree with my groom.  I was trashing the dress before the reception (and about 5 years before it was avant guard to do so. LOL) 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 May 2013 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann 

dude. i would have totally gotten a cheaper dress (providing it looked passable) just to spend more money on food, bar and photography.  Heck...as soon as we said our vows and did after-ceremony photos, I climbed a tree with my groom.  I was trashing the dress before the reception (and about 5 years before it was avant guard to do so. LOL) 

icon_lol.gif I've seen the pics! Yeah, more food, better food, that's what's memorable!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 May 2013 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 14

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Good! Then they can spend more on the cake!

Hmm, I didn't consider that perspective. Sounds good to me.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 22 May 2013 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 14

They look great! I believe weddings should be a good time for everyone, not one-upsmanship for the bride and her family. My daughter (second wedding) bought her wedding gown for $40. She bought the bridesmaids dresses for them, $5 each at Penny's Outlet. They all looked beautiful, and no one worried about whether they could wear it again. I made her cake. The groom selected all the music, and his friend was a DJ. Absolutely everyone commented on how it was the best and most fun wedding they had ever attended.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 22 May 2013 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 14

None of those dresses are styles that I would have wanted to wear to my wedding, and since I'm 6' and had to have my dress cut super long, I wouldn't have been able to buy them, even if I liked the styles.

I suspect that it will be the same as with cake. People who are going to be buying Target wedding dresses were never custom dress makers' customers.

Spending money on a wedding isn't always about showing off. Sometimes it's about having the experience for yourself, or about spending money to buy a quality item, where you value quality in that item.

I spent $1700 on my dress, I felt amazing in it, I have beautiful photos, I'll never wear it again, and I'm glad I spent every cent of it.

Not all of us are lucky enough to have friends or relations who are DJs or bakers, or dressmakers whose skills we can take advantage of.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 23 May 2013 , 12:09am
post #8 of 14

Happy brides entering strong marriages are beautiful no matter what they wear!    Target rocks for so many different things. I will admit, though, I'm designer all the way with wedding gowns.  I was so fortunate to have chosen the gown I did.  My cake was pretty, but only so-so compared to what I now know about cakes!  

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 23 May 2013 , 12:18am
post #9 of 14

I made my dd's dress - - where else was she going to find a purple & teal wedding dress?  I also made the bridesmaids' dresses - - white satin.  The dresses all fit perfectly, they were all beautiful and we spent less on 4 dresses than we would have paid for 1 (bonus).  Sometimes it's not all about the price.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 23 May 2013 , 11:07am
post #10 of 14

APurple and teal wedding dress?

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 23 May 2013 , 11:41am
post #11 of 14

The difference between a cheap wedding dress and a cheap cake is that at least they get to try the dress on and see what it looks like in advance so there are no surprises. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 23 May 2013 , 12:47pm
post #12 of 14

A

Original message sent by cazza1

The difference between a cheap wedding dress and a cheap cake is that at least they get to try the dress on and see what it looks like in advance so there are no surprises. 

so true!

My wedding dress was a charity item from a garbage bag full of linens the Salvation Army gave my my mom when I was a little girl. She is a pack rat, so she was going through things to move and gave it to me. It was antique with heavy lace, and an organza overlay. I put it on before I even met my husband, when my boys were 3 and they told me I looked like Cinderella :'-) I knew I would wear it if I ever remarried (I was going through a divorce) and I did! We even found a similar pattern for a little girls dress and some heavy lace and made my daughter a miniature version in light pink to wear as my flower girl :-) I felt like a princess and even wore a tiara.

We rented tuxes with pink vests for my little boys and even rented their shoes. My husband wore a rented tux with cream colored tux to match my dress. The tux rentals cost about $250 and was the highest priced wedding item we had! I made my cake, and bouquets and decorated our church the night before. We spent less than $2000. Today is our 5th anniversary, and we are happier now than ever!

BakerBee7468 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBee7468 Posted 23 May 2013 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 14

A

Original message sent by cazza1

So true. I personally don't like the wedding dresses at target, but I also don't feel the need to spend a fortune on a dress. As long as the person wearing it likes it doesn't matter if its a less expensive dress. Then there is more money for food

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 23 May 2013 , 4:57pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

Purple and teal wedding dress?

When my dd first told me what she wanted, I gagged. But the dress was beautiful and there was enough white with the bridesmaids' dresses and the guys all in vests and long-sleeved white shirts that it wasn't overpowering. And yes, I made all the vests and bow ties, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%