What About Coconuts?

Decorating By auntginn Updated 22 May 2013 , 2:45pm by anavillatoro1

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 21 May 2013 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for my nieces 21st birthday.  She is however allergic to nuts, nut severe but we've never taken chances why make yourself sick is how we think.

In my business I do not bake or claim any of my products are Nut Free and in fact lately everybody wants the peanut butter filling, bc and chocolate ganache, and WASC.  I would love to make her something with coconut but definately don't want her to get sick,  sigh...

My question is.... Is Coconut on the Do Not Eat list?  Is it a nut.  Have googled it and there are different opinions.  So what do you think?

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 May 2013 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 7

ACoconuts are not nuts, they are in the palm family. However, some people with nut allergies are also allergic to coconuts, so you should ask your niece if she has a coconut allergy as well.

auntginn Posted 21 May 2013 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 7

Ok, thank you

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 21 May 2013 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 7

AMy 6 yer old son is alergic to nuts, that include coconut, and another thin don't put almond extract in the wasc

auntginn Posted 22 May 2013 , 12:50am
post #5 of 7

Ana, you must have been reading my mind.  I was thinking of swapping out the almond for coconut, but in doing the research and asking on this forum I think I am going to play it safe.

I don't want to ask my niece because its a surprise to her that I'll be doing her cake.  I did ask her mother (my sister) and she can't remember if that includes coconut.

I know it seems strange that she would forget.  To me too.

auntginn Posted 22 May 2013 , 12:50am
post #6 of 7

Thank you for that input Ana

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 22 May 2013 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 7

AYou welcome ;-D I started to make cakes because of my little son allergies, better safe than sorry. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%