Need Help With Gumpaste Sunflowers

Decorating By syarber Updated 20 May 2013 , 5:00pm by tarttokig

syarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syarber Posted 19 May 2013 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone. I have been asked to make gumpaste sunflowers for a wedding cake next month. I have tried using the daisy cutters but haven't liked the results. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? TIA

5 replies
joyandcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyandcake Posted 20 May 2013 , 2:11am
post #2 of 6

Use the cutter.  Then take a rounded toothpick and roll it back and forth across each petal, the long way, to create a curve to each petal.  Then cut another sunflower and do the same and place it on top of the first.  You could add a few more layers if you like but I always seem happy with two.

Then take a ball of brown gumpaste and flatten it against a clean piece of screen dusted with a bit of cocoa powder (I have one designated for this purpose) to give you the center.  Attach this in the center of your petals.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 20 May 2013 , 2:39am
post #3 of 6

Am.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uqXeiQhZRP8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuqXeiQhZRP8

tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 20 May 2013 , 10:12am
post #4 of 6

What I would probably do (time consuming but probably with good results) is cut out a flower using the largest daisy cutter, then cutting each petal off, and then use a toothpick to flatten the petals, then vein them using a flower/leaf shaper. Repeat 2 or 3 times. Then cut a circle (like 3-4 cm across) in yellow and attach the petals. Make two rows. Then add a really large brown center.

tarttokig Posted 20 May 2013 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 6

Got a little curious to try a sunflower, here's how it turned out

I'll post a tutorial for it on my blog (www.tarttokig.wordpress.com) within short :) 

tarttokig Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 6

The tutorial is now on my blog! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%