Almond, Vanilla Extract... Is There Nuts?

Baking By oschneiderfritz Updated 19 May 2013 , 4:03am by Smallfrye

oschneiderfritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oschneiderfritz Posted 18 May 2013 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 8

AI need to know if there is nuts in vanilla or almond extracts? Also with using ingredients for making buttercream frosting. Thanks

7 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 8

The ingredients labels on the extracts should tell you. I don't think vanilla has nuts. Almond extract does, but there is an imitation almond extract that doesn't. What ingredients for making buttercream would possibly have nuts?

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 8

AI personally hate almond flavoring in buttercream but that's just my taste

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 May 2013 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 8

AIt's possible that the extracts could be contaminated with nuts, you would need to contact the mfr to confirm.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:15am
post #5 of 8

Aren't labels required now to say "made in a facility that processes nuts" if there's even the slightest possibility they could cross-contaminate?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:22am
post #6 of 8

A

Original message sent by shanter

Aren't labels required now to say "made in a facility that processes nuts" if there's even the slightest possibility they could cross-contaminate?

Nope, you are only required to list the common name of any of the top 8 allergens in the ingredients if the allergen is in your product. Food allergy groups are working on making the cross-contamination warnings required, as of right now they are entirely voluntary.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:38am
post #7 of 8

I always have the cross contamination warning on... It is a standard part of my labels... just because I didn't use say peanuts in my recipe, doesn't mean that I don't use peanuts in my kitchen... Then again, I try my best to err on the side of caution...

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 19 May 2013 , 4:03am
post #8 of 8

McCormick brand almond flavoring is made out of almond bitter which is made from peach or apricot kernels/pits. They are very helpful if you call and ask them 1-800-632-5847. I would call them and ask. Hope that helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%