Cream Cheese Icing And Fondant

Decorating By kaylawaylalayla Updated 20 May 2013 , 1:25am by mcaulir

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 18 May 2013 , 1:38am
post #1 of 15

ADoes anyone have any pictures of cream cheese icing "eating" the fondant? Does it really melt it? How long does it take this to happen? Does it also happen to fondant decorations? How do I get aroundthis and still use cream cheese fflavor

14 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 18 May 2013 , 4:05am
post #2 of 15

I believe there's a cream cheese flavouring at you can buy to add to regular buttercream. Others who have used it will be able to tell you exactly what that is.

I don't have pictures, no.

Even if you don't believe all the people who told you that in the last thread and decide to go ahead and use it under your fondant, (which, by the way, will mean that you need to fridge your cake, which causes a lot of issues with condensation for many people. Not others, but if you've never done it, I wouldn't try it on a wedding cake) please don't use it to attach all those flowers.

Use royal icing, or sugar glue, or CMC glue, or melted white chocolate.

And I would really have to suggest buying a small amoutn of fondant and getting started on those flowers. There are hundreds of them on the cake you're trying to copy, and you'll be surprised how long they take to make. And they really need to be dry before you dust them, if you're doing that, or sticking them on the cake, if you're not.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 18 May 2013 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 15

AIts not that I don't believe everyone, I just wanted to see how bad it is, and how long it takes. I guess it really doesn't natter now, because they decided they didn't want fondant now anyways.I would love to buy fondant now and get started on the flowers, but I can only order it online and by time it ships I will be in ohio. So the best I can do is buy it now and shop to ohio.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 18 May 2013 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 15

AThey still want cream cheese icing though and the flowers. :/. Can I use royal icing to attach flowers to cream cheese icing? My mom keeps asking me if there is a way I can make the flowers out of cream cheese icing too? I told her I don't know if it can be done, but i myself probably cannot do that.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 18 May 2013 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 15

AI think I am just going to tell them that I can only fill with cream cheese icing And frost with buttercream. Sorry for posting so mamy times in a row.

mcaulir Posted 18 May 2013 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 15

If you're frosting with buttercream, you can just use a little dab of it to attach the flowers, they'll be fine.

Just remember though, if you use cream cheese in the middle, you'll have to keep the cake in the fridge until a couple of hours before it's eaten. Do you have a lot of fridge space where you'll be working?

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 15

AMaybe you can use lorann oil to flavor your buttercream to taste like cream cheese instead of using cream cheese at all. ...only thing is I've read that it really strong flavoring so you only use a little bit to flavor the whole batch here's a thread about it.

cakecentral.com/t/727485/using-lorann-oils-to-flavor-buttercream-and-ganache/15

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 May 2013 , 1:46am
post #8 of 15

AThankyou forbthe info. And ill be assembling it at the wedding hall. I hope they have a big enough fridge.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 May 2013 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 15

AI have at least one more question lol. You ladies are so helpful. My mom has this crazy idea that ill be piping all of the flowers into the cake? That's crazy right? Or am I being silly? Which seems easier? To pipe? Or to cut out of fondant?

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 19 May 2013 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 15

AI don't think the flowers on that cake can be piped they need to be made out of fondant.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 May 2013 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 15

AThat's what I thought as well. Thankyou

mcaulir Posted 19 May 2013 , 10:20pm
post #12 of 15

If you've never piped flowers, cutting them out of fondant is certainly easier. Plus, you can do them a couple of days before, depending how far ahead you're at the location.

Can I suggest calling the venue and asking about refrigeration? If you have actual cream cheese in the middle of the cake, it will need to be in the fridge until a couple of hours before it's eaten. Not a couple of hours before the wedding starts, or before you set up. Before it's eaten.

Really, look into getting the flavouring. IT will make your life so much easier. Tell the B&G that if they want the cake out for display during the reception, they can't have a perishable filling in it.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 May 2013 , 11:46pm
post #13 of 15

AGood to know thank you. And I've piped flowers before, just no hydrangeas or cherry blosdom shapes.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 May 2013 , 11:49pm
post #14 of 15

AThe oil is reasonably priced. 4oz bottle should definitely be enough right? And I want the bakery emulsions not the candy oils? At work I've used candy oils to flavor butter cream, but u think that's only because I work at a candy shop?

mcaulir Posted 20 May 2013 , 1:25am
post #15 of 15

I believe the one that's recommended a lot here is Lorann brand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%