How Do You Deal With "that" Customer?

Decorating By Cakemommy2012 Updated 11 Jun 2013 , 4:57pm by debidehm

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 17 May 2013 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 16

When "that" customer comes calling wanting to order another cake from you after they made your life miserable the last time they got a cake from you--whether it be they were annoying, difficult to work with, returned the cake cause it was "dry", etc...

How do you deal with "THAT" customer....

15 replies
embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 17 May 2013 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 16

I would politely decline the order, saying that I'm already booked for that particular day.  There's no need to repeat the same hell ;)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 May 2013 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 16

You *ALWAYS* have the right to refuse a customer.  There is always the 'I/m booked for that date".

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 May 2013 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 16

A"What date did you say? Hmm, let me check my calendar... Oh! It looks like I am booked that entire week! I'm sorry... Have you ever tried so and so's cakes? [insert worst/best local baker in your area] I hear they are fabulous, but I don't know for sure. Thank you so much for your enquiry!"

Cakemommy2012 Posted 17 May 2013 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 16

HAHA  These are all great! I just had an experience where the customer returned 1 of the 2 cakes she ordered as being dry (even though both cakes were from the same batch) She was especially annoying and difficult to deal with on top of the insult of a return--- and am bracing myself for her next order!  At my bakery I'm not the only one who takes cake orders so I'm wondering is it bad that I am already plotting ways to make her cake as ugly as possible next time!  LOL 

Times like these my own bakery can't come soon enough!!!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 18 May 2013 , 12:15am
post #6 of 16

Yup, so sorry, busy time of year, can't take your cake order.  Try again next year.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 18 May 2013 , 12:30am
post #7 of 16

Or if the "booked" excuse doesn't work, 

Thanks so much for wanting to give us another chance, but after our previous working relationship, we feel you should go in another direction.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 18 May 2013 , 12:37am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat 

Or if the "booked" excuse doesn't work, 

Thanks so much for wanting to give us another chance, but after our previous working relationship, we feel you should go in another direction.

This. 

This says "I'm on to you" without coming right out and saying "no cake for you!"

Cakemommy2012 Posted 18 May 2013 , 1:08am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

This. 

This says "I'm on to you" without coming right out and saying "no cake for you!"

LOVE IT!!  HAHAHA 

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 18 May 2013 , 1:21am
post #10 of 16

I don't think you'll find our product satisfactory - it hasn't changed from last time!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 18 May 2013 , 1:42am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir 

I don't think you'll find our product satisfactory - it hasn't changed from last time!

Nice! 

Has anyone ever purposely made a "bad" cake? ie: not given it you all knowing no matter what you do it's gonna be returned or something will be wrong with it anyway?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 May 2013 , 2:15am
post #12 of 16

A

Original message sent by Cakemommy2012

Has anyone ever purposely made a "bad" cake? ie: not given it you all knowing no matter what you do it's gonna be returned or something will be wrong with it anyway?

No. If you can't or won't provide a product that will meet the customer's expectations, don't accept the order.

If you find yourself actually doing this (instead of just thinking about it) it's probably time to take a break from your business.

Cakemommy2012 Posted 18 May 2013 , 2:21am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

No. If you can't or won't provide a product that will meet the customer's expectations, don't accept the order.

I agree Jason---was just asking!  =-)  You know when you get "That" customer you sigh a big heavy sigh and still give it your all-- knowing that they will try every way possible to get it for free!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 18 May 2013 , 3:32am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemommy2012 

I agree Jason---was just asking!  =-)  You know when you get "That" customer you sigh a big heavy sigh and still give it your all-- knowing that they will try every way possible to get it for free!

You don't need to do that either - just tell them you're booked and don't do it at all.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 1:41pm
post #15 of 16

When I worked in the bakery, I had no choice but to accept every order. The only person that could decline orders was my managment team. It made it difficult when I had difficult customers. When I start my business, I will "reserve the right to refuse any order."

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 4:56pm
post #16 of 16

I would go along with the ones that say you're booked, and not the one's that say to decline the order based on your past experience with her (and you tell her something along those lines). She's trying to order from you again, so your cakes couldn't have been that bad. No reason to put a bee in her bonnet. You refuse based on the past, and she might start bad mouthing you to a friend, and on and on. If she thinks you're booked, it's not because of a reflection of her and her past behavior, so chances are she wouldn't be upset. You upset one customer, you have the chance of losing other potential clients...ie: her friends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%