How To Carve A Dome And Not Use A Bowl To Create Dome

Decorating By Pria Updated 16 May 2013 , 7:33am by Crazy-Gray

Pria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pria Posted 16 May 2013 , 7:01am
post #1 of 3

Hi all...

I have a big problem.  I have a cake due tomorrow and last night I baked a cake and the bowl proved a bit too small.  I dont have other bowls the right size and I am struggling to figure out how to carve the dome on a normal 8 inch round cake.

What approach do I take ?  Carve the sides rounded and then pile on the scraps to make the peak ?

Please help !

2 replies
kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 16 May 2013 , 7:27am
post #2 of 3

When I have done this I bake the cake to be size I want the bottom to be.  tort fill and freeze.  then with a cake knife or fillet knife I slowly carve away little bits until I have the desired shape.  The carvings go into a bowl/bucket to be turned into cake balls or sent to work with my hubby to share with his work buddies.  Depending on the size of the cake I might bake graduating sizes of cake ... eg one layer 10" next layer 8" and top is 6" and use the sizing of the cake layers as a guide.  I hope that helps.  good luck!!

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 16 May 2013 , 7:33am
post #3 of 3

If your 8" round is as tall as you need it to be for your final cake put a cocktail stick/straw or such right in the middle then carve from the bottom up in an arcing motion (else you'll end up with a cone!) it might help to put your cake right to the edge of your counter so you can get the knife in a good position.

if it's not quite tall enough you might be able to use an inch or two from the slightly too small dome you've already baked; sit it on top of the 8" round and do the same as above following the shape of the dome part on top.

I wouldn't use scraps it'd be very obvious when cut! Bake an extra layer to get the height if yu can; that's the best way :-)

Best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%