Confectioner's Glaze For Extra Shiny Or Glossy Cookies?

Baking By liz at sugar Updated 9 Nov 2013 , 3:17am by MBalaska

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 16 May 2013 , 1:34am
post #1 of 16

Anyone use confectioners glaze or edible lacquer on top of sugar cookies decorated with Toba's glace?  I love the wet look of the just glazed cookies, and wondered if anyone else did this?

I haven't tried drying them under heat lights yet, I've heard that helps keep the gloss as well.

Liz

15 replies
Gigi1929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gigi1929 Posted 16 May 2013 , 2:21am
post #2 of 16

I haven't used Toba's glace but I have used corn syrup for that wet look.  It dries quickly and stays so shiny giving it that 'wet' look.  

~Lisa~

liz at sugar Posted 16 May 2013 , 3:04am
post #3 of 16

Gigi1929 - Toba's recipe is 2 lbs powdered sugar, 3/4 cup corn syrup, 3/4 cup cream or milk.  Is that the ratio you use?  These don't dry completely matte, but I'd like them to be shinier after they dry enough for stacking.

Liz

Gigi1929 Posted 16 May 2013 , 10:50am
post #4 of 16

Sorry ... what I meant was that I have painted a finished RI cookie with corn syrup for that wet look.  On the RI the corn syrup dried well.  I don't know if it would be the same on Toba's

liz at sugar Posted 16 May 2013 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 16

Oh, I get it now.  I will try that today, and see what happens.  Thanks!

Liz

Gigi1929 Posted 16 May 2013 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 16

let me know if it works!  good luck :)

liz at sugar Posted 16 May 2013 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 16

I tried some corn syrup with a little vanilla on my brush this morning.  Looked promising at first, but a few cookies got "orange peel" (like when a paint job gets little spots where it won't cover).   By this afternoon, the corn syrup is just becoming part of the glace and getting matte again.

I would have loved for it to work, but there must be too much moisture in the glace for it to stay shiny.

I'll get a can of confectioners glaze and try that next.

Thank you for the idea though!  It would work good for right before a party or event, I think.

Liz

Gigi1929 Posted 16 May 2013 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 16

That's too bad.  Probably better on the RI because it's so dry.  

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 16 May 2013 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 16

There are a couple of recipes at this link http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080304213419AA95yzN

I personally would not use shellac on cookies even though it is used on gumpaste art, it doesn't even wash off brushes.

liz at sugar Posted 16 May 2013 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 16

Yes, I know the shellac sounds unappetizing, but it is what gives the gloss to candies like malted milk balls and chocolate covered coffee beans.  All candies finished in a drum use confectioner's glaze.

Thank you for those recipes - I also found one yesterday that involved gelatin that seemed like it could be promising.  Most of the others are just variations on the cookie glace that ends up matte when dry.

Liz

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 1:55pm
post #11 of 16

Liz did you ever figure this out? I need to make a chocolate glaze that dries hard for cookies and I want a shine too.

liz at sugar Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 16

Stitches - The corn syrup method didn't work for me.  Maybe my underlying glaze wasn't hard enough, like royal icing is.

If you are using chocolate, couldn't you just temper it and dip the cookies in?  I think they would be pretty glossy that way.  Or just add a thin coating of tempered chocolate over your glaze?

I never did try the gelatin method, I will have to search where I put that recipe.  Seems like it would stay shiny, buy I'm not certain if it work on top of anything other than royal icing.

Liz

Stitches Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 16

There isn't a budget for melted chocolate.....it's just a cheap (dipped, with sprinkles) thanksgiving acorn cookie I want to do. I've been using the NFSC recipe and the corn syrup and xxxsugar glaze that dries hard enough to stack.

I was going to sub out some of the powdered sugar and add cocoa powder for a chocolate colored glaze........but than I started thinking it might be ugly dull. So I did a search for chocolate glaze and this thread came up.

I guess I need to look up the topic on a cookie decorating site...thanks.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 16

quick pour chocolate fondant glaze  you tube video.  I saved it but haven't tried it yet.

Stitches Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 2:31am
post #15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

quick pour chocolate fondant glaze  you tube video.  I saved it but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks! I saved it and I'll give it a try when I can....I'll report back.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 3:17am
post #16 of 16

I'll also try it myself tonight, as I've got todays chocolate roll out cookie experiment in the oven baking.:smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%