Farmers Market Proof Frosting, Please Help!

Decorating By cakediva032 Updated 16 May 2013 , 1:57am by Apti

cakediva032 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva032 Posted 16 May 2013 , 12:20am
post #1 of 5

ARight now I use a butter based buttercream for most of my cupcake frostings... Anyone have any ideas for yummy frostings that can hold up in the heat? I have a canopy, but anticipate a humid summer...

Thank you!!

4 replies
Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 16 May 2013 , 12:26am
post #2 of 5

A

Original message sent by cakediva032

Right now I use a butter based buttercream for most of my cupcake frostings... Anyone have any ideas for yummy frostings that can hold up in the heat? I have a canopy, but anticipate a humid summer...

Thank you!!

I was wondering the exact same thing! Sorry I can't help, but will be interested to see where this thread leads best of luck

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 16 May 2013 , 1:01am
post #3 of 5

The only frosting I can think of would be the types used on cookies. Simple frostings, based on powdered sugar with milk or water and vanilla.

If you think on this a bit, you could make some really cute cupcakes this way. In the long run, you could do anything you've seen done on a cookie You could cover the simple frosting with fondant and do anything cool with the decorations. If you add lemon zest or lime zest to the simple frosting it tastes auesome.....so would maple syrup and a ton of different flavoring options.

stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 16 May 2013 , 1:49am
post #4 of 5

Could you make like a cooling tray to set the cakes and cupcakes on? Put some freezer paks (like you put in lunch boxes in a cake pan, then put a smaller cookie sheet on top of pan with the freezer paks and set your cakes on the cookie sheet to keep them cool. Keep extra cakes in a cooler and put out as the others sell. Just a thought.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 May 2013 , 1:57am
post #5 of 5

Indydebi's shortening based frosting (no real butter):

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Here are two SUPERB high-heat, high-humidity recipes. I have used both and prefer the Indydebi recipe because I live in So. California and is is rarely humid here. Ricki's recipe may hold up better in hot AND humid conditions. Important: Even though both recipes say "Crisco", these recipes were used for 30+ years BEFORE Crisco changed their recipe to NON-TRANS-FAT. The current Crisco does NOT perform the same way it did 2 years ago.

Where the recipes call for Crisco, substitute (if possible) the following:

BEST BY A MILE: High Ratio Shortening (this is only available from specialty cake stores or online. You cannot find this at a grocery store.)

2nd BEST: Grocery store brand white vegetable shortening that still lists 2-3 grams of trans-fat on the ingredients label

Use only as a last resort: White Crisco (not butter flavored). It will still work, and nobody else but you will know that it is a little grainy and not as smooth as it would be with one of the products in 1st or 2nd place above.)

INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):

(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/)
Single Batch Recipe:

1-1/3 cups Crisco (BETTER: store brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats, or BEST, a specialty cake supply product called high-ratio shortening. As of 2010 Crisco no longer contains trans-fats.)

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar
IndyDebi says: “There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.”

NOTE: Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

My cousin RICKI'S CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM that she's used for 30 years in hot, humid Kansas:
Ricki's Crusting Buttercream (high-heat, high-humidity)
1 cup + 4 TBSP water
2 cup Crisco (use high-ratio shortening if you have it)
½ tsp popcorn salt
1 tsp butter flavor
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp clear vanilla
8 tsp meringue powder
4 TBSP cake flour
1 cup corn starch
4 lb. C&H sifted powdered sugar
The recipe above is a double batch. Any leftover icing will be ok in the fridge/freezer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%