What To Charge For This Cake?

Business By a sweet treats Updated 22 May 2013 , 10:24pm by punkin90

a sweet treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
a sweet treats Posted 15 May 2013 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 6

I am having a hard time putting a price on a cake and wondering if some of you could tell me how your pricing works and what i should charge. here is a pic of the cake. (just cake no cupcakes) thanks in advance.

5 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 May 2013 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 6

ACheck out my blog post for a pricing formula you can use. If you don't have a commercial kitchen you need to make sure you can legally sell cakes, some states do not allow home bakeries.

http://jasonkraftblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/the-magic-pricing-formula/

You also need to avoid copyrighted elements (like Mickey Mouse's head) unless you have permission from the copyright owner.

We would probably charge in the $5-6/serving range for that cake.

BubbleGumBG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BubbleGumBG Posted 22 May 2013 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 6

It really depends on how good you are, how flawless you can execute the cake, your price of ingredients and time it'll take you, and what people are willing to pay in your area. I'm fairly new and live in an area where most people are on food stamps and are used to walmart cakes. I would charge around 55.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 22 May 2013 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 6

regardless of market, i'd be pretty upset if I paid $5-6 a serving for the exact cake pictured.  The top Mickey hat is misshapen like a cone, the cakes are too rounded for my taste, and the fondant flower and circle cut outs are way too thick.  This is a super cute cake, but most likely from a hobbyist. And that doesn't make it a bad cake at all, it just isn't professional enough in the finish to warrant professional prices--which to me would be in the $5-6 range.  

Like the previous posted said...it all depends on how well you can execute the design. 

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 22 May 2013 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 6

AI too don't like this particular cake there are tons of minnie mouse cakes to choose from .

www.google.com/search?q=minnie+mouse+cake&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ikCdUde3N6ftygGm6IHgCQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=360&bih=567

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 22 May 2013 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

How many servings is this cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%