A Question About Modelling Chocolate...

Decorating By Sugar and Slice Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 7:29pm by chezzabelle

Sugar and Slice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar and Slice Posted 15 May 2013 , 8:24am
post #1 of 3

Hi there. lovely people. This website is AWESOME by the way. This may be my first actual post, but I have been doing a lot of reading around and I have become a little bit obsessed I think!

Anyway, I know that there are probably like a thousand million other questions on modelling chocolate, but I have another! I have tried modelling with fondant, but I have never really gotten along with it; so I thought I would try modelling chocolate.I have made a couple of small batches, and I always think I have it right, but then something happens and makes me think I have gone wrong somewhere! 

Basically, how hard should it set? Because both the white and the dark stuff I made sets rock hard in the fridge, but doesn't seem to actually get solid when left out at room temperature. Obviously it holds its shape and does set, but if I picked it up and squished it between my fingers it would squish, if that makes sense? Is that right? 

On that note, where do you keep it (both when it is just a block and the things you have made)? Because different sources I have read seem to say different things, fridge or room temp.

And does anyone have a definitive, fool proof recipe? Or even tips on what chocolate to use! I am in the UK, for the record. Last time I did it I used Asda baking chocolate and golden syrup. 

Sorry for the ramble. And thank you! :)

2 replies
Maria18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria18 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 3

Hi there Sugar and slice...

I just tried a modelling choc recipe 250gms choc and karo corn syrup 4 tbps. As I began to combine everything was looking fine then suddenly it started to ooze out liquid. I'm thinking it might be something to do with choc. I used the silver spoon choc blocks from asda. As i've usually seen in you tube vids that they use choc chips. so I might try again next time using that.

As far as I know modelling choc is supposed to be hard once set and molded.

If I ever come across a fool proof recipe I will post it here.

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 3

AI have tried this recipe and found it turned out ok i used golden syrup though it sets hard if left out in the air http://ifisgirlystuff.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/how-to-make-chocolate-plasticfondant-icing-easy-and-yummy/ hope that helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%