Cake Dummy Help.

Decorating By taraedgington Updated 15 May 2013 , 4:37pm by taraedgington

taraedgington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taraedgington Posted 15 May 2013 , 12:51am
post #1 of 5

AHi y'all! I'm making my first BIG wedding cake June 1. The bride brought me a photo of something she spotted on Pinterest. It's a beautiful 5 tiered cake, with lots of bling. However, only 3 of the tiers will actually be cake, the other 2 will be dummy tiers. I've never used a dummy layer before. I'm hoping y'all may have some tips on how to stack this cake and just general tips on the dummy layers. I'll post a pic of the inspiration for the cake I'll be making. The bottom layer will be cake 14in square, next one will be dummy, next one cake, another dummy, lastly the top will be cake. She has asked for white cake, BC icing, And I'll cover in fondant. Any tips are so so soooooo appreciated!! Thanks y'all!![IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3007668/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

4 replies
malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 15 May 2013 , 4:41am
post #2 of 5

AI just made my first real wedding cake recently from this very picture and size that you mentioned. It was easier than I thought it would be, but I didn't do the stencils. I used wooden dowels in the real cakes and drove it to the site separately. I covered the dummies with fondant before attaching the rhinestones.

malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 15 May 2013 , 4:48am
post #3 of 5

AI guess I should mention that I took it in three separate pieces. The 14 in by itself, the 10 in already on top of the 12 inch dummy, and then the 6 in on top of the 8 in dummy. It was a lot less tress to stack it at the site.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 May 2013 , 4:51am
post #4 of 5

AMalou1021, where did you get the rhinestones and what did they run you, if you don't mind me asking?

taraedgington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taraedgington Posted 15 May 2013 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 5

AThank you so much for the tips! It's a beautiful cake. I'm going to be doing the stencil in hot pink, at brides request. I think it will be so pretty. Stacking on site is a great idea. I thought that was the way to go. I'll be using your 3 piece method. Lol! Thanks again! The bride purchased the rhinestones on eBay...fairly cheap from what I hear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%