The Wedding Cake And The Flowers For The Cake...

Decorating By PTDixieGal Updated 21 May 2013 , 11:59pm by PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 14 May 2013 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 8

Okay so here's my ordeal. I just started taking cake decorating classes and I'm not the best at it but lots of people seem to like my flowers (and I haven't even taken the course for flowers yet but will beginning in June).

My sister is getting married in October. She's already picked out the cake. It's one that a specialty bakery is making. Five tiers, white cake with white buttercream, and it feeds 150 people. But she doesn't like the flowers that are on the cake. So she's telling the baker to make the "plain cake"-same cake, same borders, same design on the icing...but no flowers. Which they DO-it's even shown in their catalog and it's mentioned as being the same cake shown. But she's asked me to do the flowers. IN ADDITION to being her maid of honor and doing the cupcakes and cake pops. My main concern is with the flowers/wedding cake because I won't actually have it on hand until right before the wedding. I need some ideas for what to do in this situation. In the meantime I plan on experimenting with my frostings, gum paste, fondant, and food coloring. Help! Thanks in advance ;)

7 replies
MoniCakes7818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoniCakes7818 Posted 14 May 2013 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 8

Hi,

Sounds like you're going to have your hands full! So I'm no expert but i know you can make the flowers well in advance as long as you store them properly and packaged well you should be able to pull it off. Also i dont know how much time there is between the ceremony and the reception but, I would tell your sister to have the the bakery deliver the cake earlier than needed that way they can set it up and you can come in a hour or two earlier to put the flowers on.

As for your cupcakes and cake pops you can make those 2 days before the wedding, Talk to the banquet hall and see if they can store them for you at the facility that way you don't have to worry about bringing them in the day off. and they can help you out with the setup. This way they are still fresh and will taste super yummy.

I hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 14 May 2013 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 8

Do you want to do it?  That is the big question.  You best know the planned schedule of things and if you can do it or not.  When will you be able to put the flowers on given getting dressed, pictures, etc?  If you just think it will be too much, let your sister know you just can't do it and still enjoy the day and do your job as maid of honor.  Another option which could either work or be a huge fail is to see if the baker would use your flowers.  The problem with this option is if they don't want to do this that they could just cancel the whole order since they would then know you would be adding them yourself.  So that would be a big gamble.  The other thing to consider is if you even can bring in cupcakes and pops.  Does the venue require you to be legal to bring food in?  Also, does the baker allow other cake products along side their cake?  If you do decide to go forward with it, choose a simple design with flowers that can be made well in advance and won't require a lot to attach.  No design that uses dozens of flowers, just a few dramatic ones here and there.

PTDixieGal Posted 15 May 2013 , 12:27am
post #4 of 8

It's a church, and we don't have to be legal to bring in cupcakes and pops. She hasn't told me anything about how many flowers she wants or if she wants a few here and there (that's what I'd prefer if it were me but then she wants this big to-do).

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 15 May 2013 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 8

Just be prepared to say what you are willing and able to do.  If she wants a design with 200 flowers on it, you may just have to say no, that you simply aren't able to do that and everything else.  Only you know how long it will take, not her, so when you are talking flower design be honest with her. 

PTDixieGal Posted 20 May 2013 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

Just be prepared to say what you are willing and able to do.  If she wants a design with 200 flowers on it, you may just have to say no, that you simply aren't able to do that and everything else.  Only you know how long it will take, not her, so when you are talking flower design be honest with her. 

Thanks...I've still got five months to go. I've been kind of playing around with flower designs on my days off so I can get an idea of what she does/doesn't like.

pinkfluffylove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkfluffylove Posted 21 May 2013 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 8

AHiya, you can make cake pops in advance, don't dip them in choc and freeze them in a sealed containerready to dip nearer the time, flour paste flowers can be made months in advance, store in a cardboard box and in tissue, never plastic and never place in the refrigerator as they will spoil, im not sure how the flourpaste will react with buttercream but you could put them into flower pick filled with fondant to keep flowers in place.

PTDixieGal Posted 21 May 2013 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfluffylove 

Hiya, you can make cake pops in advance, don't dip them in choc and freeze them in a sealed containerready to dip nearer the time, flour paste flowers can be made months in advance, store in a cardboard box and in tissue, never plastic and never place in the refrigerator as they will spoil, im not sure how the flourpaste will react with buttercream but you could put them into flower pick filled with fondant to keep flowers in place.

Thanks! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%