For Those Who Rent A Kitchen...

Business By kearniesue Updated 13 May 2013 , 4:43pm by jason_kraft

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 13 May 2013 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 4

So, for those of you who are licensed and use a rental kitchen, do you make EVERYTHING in the rental kitchen?  Do you make flowers or other decoration at home?  Just curious...

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 May 2013 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 4

A

Original message sent by kearniesue

So, for those of you who are licensed and use a rental kitchen, do you make EVERYTHING in the rental kitchen?  Do you make flowers or other decoration at home?  Just curious...

Before the cottage food law passed in California we were required to make everything in the commercial kitchen.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 13 May 2013 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 4

Yep, I guess that's why I'm asking.  I'm wondering where you cross the line.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 May 2013 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 4

AIt depends on how your health dept interprets the food safety laws in your area. If they say everything must be done in the licensed commercial kitchen there really is no line, since if you do some work in an unlicensed kitchen you might as well not have the licensed kitchen in the first place. But if they say (in writing) that it's OK to work on fondant and gumpaste decorations for your business outside a licensed kitchen then that's what you can do.

Most commercial kitchens will have a lower hourly rate if you only need prep space for a shift and don't need to bake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%