Clean Up Messes

Decorating By PTDixieGal Updated 12 May 2013 , 9:10pm by BrandisBaked

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 12 May 2013 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 7

How do you clean up messes when icing the sides of a cake? There's always little globs of icing on the cakeboard, no matter how hard I try to scrape it up with a spatula, and even if no one else notices, I notice...it sticks out like a sore thumb!icon_eek.gif I usually use an angled spatula but sometimes I use a decorating bag with an icer tip. Thanks!

6 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 12 May 2013 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

AI just use a paper towel. It can be avoided though; Ice the cake on a separate board the same size of the cake and then transfer to the larger cake board. Hth

PTDixieGal Posted 12 May 2013 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks...I'll have to try that about using the different sized cake boards...and find my paper towels ;)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 May 2013 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 7

ASlide wax paper strips under the edges and pull them out after icing.

PTDixieGal Posted 12 May 2013 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

Slide wax paper strips under the edges and pull them out after icing.

Should I let the icing crust or pull it out immediately after icing? I'm guessing pull them out immediately after icing.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 12 May 2013 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 7

Icing the cake on a board the same size as the cake is the best way to go.  It allows for moving the cake into the fridge, if necessary, and the board edge can be the guide for making the sides smooth & vertical.  It also adds extra stabilization to the cake.  It's a small extra step that saves cleaning up a mess later.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 May 2013 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 7

AI pull them out right after.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%