New To Using Shortening..help

Decorating By Bakerof2 Updated 27 Aug 2013 , 3:00am by cakeladyforgod

Bakerof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerof2 Posted 12 May 2013 , 1:37am
post #1 of 15

I've never used shortening in my icings. Do they taste greasy? I was going to try a CC BTcream icing this week with shortening.

Can I get some positives and negatives PLEASE!

14 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 12 May 2013 , 2:15am
post #2 of 15

ADon't use Crisco! High ratio shortening is best but if you can't find it use a store brand that still has the trans fats in it. Hth :)

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 12 May 2013 , 2:37am
post #3 of 15

I use Crisco, it works fine.  I have tried HR shortening and have not seen too much of a difference.  HR shortening is not available where I live and it's quite expensive if I order it.  Try both, but I think you might be happy with shortening.

cakeladyforgod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyforgod Posted 12 May 2013 , 2:41am
post #4 of 15

I have always used shortening and prefer Crisco.  My icing doesn't taste greasy. Actually I get quite a few compliments on the taste.  Try it.  I think you will be pleased.

Bakerof2 Posted 12 May 2013 , 3:44am
post #5 of 15

AIs it the same in amount?

Original message sent by cakeladyforgod

I have always used shortening and prefer Crisco.  My icing doesn't taste greasy. Actually I get quite a few compliments on the taste.  Try it.  I think you will be pleased.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 12 May 2013 , 3:48am
post #6 of 15

AI hate crisco its greasy! High ratio shortening has different ingredients in it than regular shortening so it holds more liquid and sugar in it and it whips up much lighter. You can buy high ratio shortening at a cake supply store or a restaurant depot or online.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00024WNTU

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 12 May 2013 , 4:13am
post #7 of 15

I know cakes are not 'a healthy food' in general..but high ratio shortening is really bad stuff- a huge negative in my book. personally I would never use it nor would I eat a cake with it- unless there was a trans fat free one.

Bakerof2 Posted 12 May 2013 , 4:38am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat 

I know cakes are not 'a healthy food' in general..but high ratio shortening is really bad stuff- a huge negative in my book. personally I would never use it nor would I eat a cake with it- unless there was a trans fat free one.

I think I agree. But I may just try to see

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 16 May 2013 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 15

AI have seen a few hi ratio teams fat free ones in my search today. I am new to cake decorating, and I agree that crisco makes the icing greasy. Does anyone have a brand they like best? Particularly one available online on smaller amounts? The 50lb cube is a little much for me.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 16 May 2013 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 15

I've literally never used shortening for anything. I use all butter in my frostings, whatever the instructions call for in my cakes, a precise 50/50 mix of butter and really good margarine in cookies and turkey dressing (the latter gets salted margarine and unsalted butter), and a 50/50 mix of butter and Canola oil for Rice-a-Roni (tm).

I might consider using it for piecrust.

At any rate, Crisco always reminds me of a certain filthy locker room joke, which does not bear repeating on a family board (in spite of what's been bandied about recently on the "things to never ask/tell your baker" thread).

Incidentally, according to everything I've read, not all trans fats are bad. Only the ones that either don't occur in nature, or are outright toxic, or both.

Bakerof2 Posted 17 May 2013 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

I've literally never used shortening for anything. I use all butter in my frostings, whatever the instructions call for in my cakes, a precise 50/50 mix of butter and really good margarine in cookies and turkey dressing (the latter gets salted margarine and unsalted butter), and a 50/50 mix of butter and Canola oil for Rice-a-Roni (tm).

I might consider using it for piecrust.

At any rate, Crisco always reminds me of a certain filthy locker room joke, which does not bear repeating on a family board (in spite of what's been bandied about recently on the "things to never ask/tell your baker" thread).

Incidentally, according to everything I've read, not all trans fats are bad. Only the ones that either don't occur in nature, or are outright toxic, or both.

please elaborate on the canola and turkey dressing. I don't understand what recipe you'd use that in. It interests me :)

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 May 2013 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 15

Uh, I don't use turkey dressing, or Rice-a-Roni, in cakes or cookies, of course. Rather, when I make turkey dressing, I use a 50/50 mix of salted margarine and unsalted butter to cook the chopped celery and onions, and when I make Rice-a-Roni, I use a roughly 50/50 mix of butter and canola oil, rather than margarine, to saute the rice and vermicelli.

As far as other things one would use turkey dressing crumbs in, well, lightly pulverized, they work well as the crumb component of a turkey loaf (one pouch, lightly pulverized, to one egg, one onion, and two and a half pounds of ground turkey). And thoroughly pulverized, they make a good breading for turkey schnitzel.

Of course, what this has to do with cakes, I dunno.icon_biggrin.gif

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 17 May 2013 , 9:42pm
post #13 of 15

ASo if your shortening has 0 trans fat does that make a difference?

maddy1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1977 Posted 17 May 2013 , 9:53pm
post #14 of 15

Has anyone tried the shortening from Aldis supermarket or Save-a-lot? Someone told me it's good for icing but the person it's not a baker so I will

like to know if any bakers here has tried those brands? BTW I use the walmart brand and it has worked fine for me :)

cakeladyforgod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyforgod Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:59am
post #15 of 15

I have tried the one from Aldi's and was not happy at all.  Very greasy and had a strong smell. Like I said before I always use Crisco and have never had a problem with it being greasy.  For a single recipe I use 3/4 cup of shortening to 1lb. of confectioners sugar.  Of course I rarely make a single batch.  I am a hobby baker but still usually make a double batch of icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%