Mad Hatter Failure...............

Decorating By SandyS Updated 22 May 2013 , 2:13pm by SandyS

SandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyS Posted 10 May 2013 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 8

I just had my mad hatter go south.........icon_cry.gif The bottom tier even with the supports just started breaking off....... What kind of cake recipes do you use for this cake? Do you use a dense cake? I really need help I am so frustrated.

Thanks,

Sandy

7 replies
Cookie2807 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie2807 Posted 10 May 2013 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 8

Hi SandyS,  I'm also frustrated with the Topsy Turvy Cakes. Do you own the Fat Daddio Forms ? I do  and every time I use them I have to cross my fingers that the cake will bake all through. I do not know why your cake fell apart but I just wanted to say I feel with you .  icon_sad.gif

Baking Me Crazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Me Crazy Posted 10 May 2013 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 8

I'm also making a mad hatter cake. The class is making a topsy turvy but I don't think I am going that route. Too difficult in my opinion. I'm glad I didn't spend the money on fat daddios topsy turvy pans.

The Cake Shoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Cake Shoppe Posted 10 May 2013 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 8

I seriously hate topsy turvy cakes.  I would def. recommend using a recipe that is a dense cake suitable for carving!  And getting things leveled after carving is pretty stinking important.  I think that if all else fails, I would go for the styrofoam-wedge construction.  It eliminates the carving and still gives that 'mad hatter' impression.  Just cover the styro with floral/filler deco.  HTH.  :D

dragons49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragons49 Posted 22 May 2013 , 10:18am
post #5 of 8

I just recently finished one and what I did was assembled at the event and the cake stayed in one place so there was no movement.  Also I used normal cake mix the tiers stayed together but have been told to use pound cake for a denser cake.  All I know is not to travel with the cake together that is one mistake I won't make again its okay for tiered cakes that are one on top of each other but since the topsy turvy is on a slant I would suggest to put first tier down and box the others and put final touches at event

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 22 May 2013 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 8

Your tiers will still need to sit level after baking. You cut a hole in the top of each tier for the next one it sit on. Here is  a video on what I mean. She doesn't use the pans but the structure is the same

SandyS Posted 22 May 2013 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the sympathy

SandyS Posted 22 May 2013 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of the advice and hints I really appreciate everything!

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%