I Get Little Cracks / Holes In My Fondant

Decorating By TashaFin Updated 9 May 2013 , 8:38pm by maybenot

TashaFin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TashaFin Posted 9 May 2013 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 3

Please could someone help.  When I cover my cake with fondant, I get what looks like little holes, as well as cracks around the edge of the cake.  I work my icing for ages to try to prevent this, but still having the problem.  I find it is especially when I have coloured the fondant.  You will clearly see in the attached photo what I mean - on the green fondant.

2 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 9 May 2013 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 3

AWhat kind of fondant are you using? It looks like it's drying out before it gets on the cake. Try fondarific or Duff (fondarific with a different label) fondant since they take a long time to dry out; or work quicker ;) Also, there is such a thing as over-kneading fondant.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 9 May 2013 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 3
"I work my icing for ages" --this likely contributes to your issues.  Overworking the fondant dries it out and helps to cause "elephant skin".  Also, certain colors--green being one of them--contain ingredients that make them dry things out faster.

Part of the issue may be the brand of fondant you're using, the age of the fondant, and what you're rolling on.  If you roll on PS or CS, both can make the fondant dry faster.  Kneading in too much shortening can degrade the fondant.

For me, fresh fondant kneaded until workable with just a tiny bit of shortening on my hands on a smear of shortening seems to keep this problem at bay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%