Cupcakes Packaging

Business By natenel Updated 11 May 2013 , 1:07am by Stitches

natenel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natenel Posted 9 May 2013 , 7:05am
post #1 of 6

AHi I have recently started to sell cupcakes and despite using cupcake boxes with inserts I have customers who came back to tell me their cupcakes flipped 180 degrees in transit. I really do not know what happened. I have on occasions used piping gel to gel/secure cupcakes on cake boards when I didn't have inserts but it would be a hassle doing that each time there are takeaway cupcakes orders. Can anyone share their experiences and tips on preventing cupcakes from flipping?

Thanks! Lene

5 replies
teeshah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teeshah Posted 9 May 2013 , 7:11am
post #2 of 6

i dont usually use a cupcake box, instead i use normal cake box and dab abit of royal icing underneath each cupcakes. works for me :)

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 9 May 2013 , 11:59am
post #3 of 6

I had that problem too until I started buying boards to fit the bottom of the box (I use BRP and the dozen count boxes - the 1/4 sheet boards fit perfect). The board gives the box stability and raises the height of the cupcake just enough to secure it in the inserts. It makes packaging costs slightly higher, but it's worth it to have the cupcakes be stable and look professional.

I've also recently started using cupcake wrappers in addition to the liners which definitely helps with the stability. Since they're slightly larger/higher than the regular liner it makes the cupcakes very fitted to the insert.

I've done the regular box, use icing on the bottom method but I keep going back to the inserts. I don't want customers picking up the cupcake only to have it stuck to the box or get their hands all messy. I know there's pros/cons to both methods, but I prefer the inserts.  

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 9 May 2013 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 6

this Christmas I gave up on the liners. I put the cuppies in a 10x10 box (from BRP) stacked like bricks, or offset. They traveled with no problems and not one customer noticed that there was no liner ( I asked). I have to thank FromScratchSF, she gave me the tip, and you know she sells a lot of cake!

FYI, That's how Sprinkles does it, too. They use a piece of waxed paper to separate them, sometimes. I do put some against the walls of the box, if the cupcakes will be in there for a while, to keep the butter from bleeding into the box. Even with that, there is a lot of savings there. Smaller box+no liner+less set up time= happy jen. :D 

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 10 May 2013 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 6

AHmmm I guess I don't understand all the difficulties some are having with liners...I have always used them. they stay seperated and in place and I think it looks more professional. as far as cost...I include packaging into customer costs. A few cents isn't enough for anyone to notice and pretty packaging is part of the order :) IMO

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 11 May 2013 , 1:07am
post #6 of 6

The height of the liners is what makes some work and others tip over. The liner has to be tall enough to top/icing for the support to work. Liners that are short/low in the box don't work, no matter what. Every time I've bought cupcakes from Whole Foods they fall over in the box before I reach my car.

I haven't figured out which brand is better then the next, yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%