I Fear For My Brothers Wedding

Business By motherofgrace Updated 12 Jun 2013 , 12:15am by motherofgrace

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 9 May 2013 , 2:15am
post #1 of 12

Hey guys!

My brother is getting married in a couple weeks and I looked up the bakers site that they went with. I have a sinking feeling that some of the photos are stolen. Some of the pictures and cakes are high quality, and some are definatly not.

T

hey are very excited for this cake, but I am wondering, should I bring a couple supplies just incase something goes terribly wrong? I am just very nervous for them!

11 replies
connie9003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie9003 Posted 9 May 2013 , 2:21am
post #2 of 12

If it was me and they didn't ask me to have a decision in ordering the cake or who to use i'd say enjoy the wedding and don't worry about the cake.

motherofgrace Posted 9 May 2013 , 2:23am
post #3 of 12

I would have been more help but I was living accross the country at the time.

I wouldnt be able to enjoy the wedding if they were upset. I hope it all works out

annabananana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabananana Posted 9 May 2013 , 4:53am
post #4 of 12

AThe cake is very important! It would not hurt to bring some tools with you especially if you are driving. Maybe a spatula or smoother or a bag with tips. If it is really ugly buttercream you could. At least pipe over it or lumpy fondant grab your smoother. Yeah a kit would be nice.

motherofgrace Posted 9 May 2013 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 12

that what I thought. I mean there is no harm in having it in my hotel room. If they dont need it GREAT if they do, then atleast there is something I can try to do

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 May 2013 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 12

AI recently fixed a cake for a bride who was literally in tears over the state of the cake, and it wasn't my cake. I had to bring it back to the shop and scrape the icing off, level it, fill and ice and decorate. There wasn't enough icing on the cake, but if there had been, I would've preferred to smooth it and pipe, but cake was showing through, and it was crooked, so there was nothing I could do without just starting over. If you really think this cake is going to be a mess, there is no reason to not make an emergency repair kit in a bag and bring it. If the cake is good enough, no one has to know you have it, but if it is a mess, you will be a hero, haha! I would bring scrapers, and piping bag and smoothers and paper towels and such. Depending on what the cake is supposed to look like, and whether you take a plane or drive, then it will determine what you should bring. I was able to fix the mess with less than a mixer bowl of icing, so maybe you could even bring a bowl of icing, if you drive!!! Let us know how it turns out, but post here on this post, so we see it ;-)

motherofgrace Posted 9 May 2013 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 12

Thank anna!

I will be driving so it works out. 

I really want the cake to be good lol

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 May 2013 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace 

Thank anna!

I will be driving so it works out. 

I really want the cake to be good lol

That is perfect you are driving!! If it were me, (OVERKILL QUEEN!!) I would bring turntables, and icing, and everything else in a plastic tote!

With the cake I had to fix, it was leaning, the supports weren't level, and they were cut too short, because there was very little icing on the top of each tier. Once I pried them apart and added more, then iced them with enough icing, they were all between 1/4 to a half inch too short, so if you have bubble tea straws, bring those and some scissors! SPS would not have worked with this cake, without a hack saw (TOO much time!!) because the tiers were only 3 1/2 inches tall, up from 3".

All being said, I really hope you don't have to fix it! But if you do, take plenty of before pictures so your brother can get their money back!

motherofgrace Posted 9 May 2013 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 12

than kyou, and luckly it is getting delivered the saturday Just in case!

motherofgrace Posted 30 May 2013 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 12

Just letting you all know it turned out ok! The 2nd tear was sinking a little into the bottom, but they didnt notice so I kept quiet. I also fount the tear heights a little small, but they were happy and thats all tha tcounts!

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 30 May 2013 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 12

Glad it turned out okay! As far as pictures go, sometimes the high quality ones come from friendly wedding photographers, while the baker may not have the skill/equipment to take such nice shots all the time. The question is, are some cakes higher quality than others.

motherofgrace Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 12:15am
post #12 of 12

Yes tartlette, some were amazing and some were first time using fondant. Thats what had scared me as well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%