Do You All Deliver Your Tiered Cakes In Suvs?

Decorating By vgcea Updated 1 Jun 2014 , 8:34am by 810whitechoc

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 6 May 2013 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 53

I had my first cake boo-boo getting a cake out of the passenger side floor board this past weekend. Thankfully, it was not a tiered cake or for a customer. Still, that got me thinking maybe it's time to upgrade to a crossover or SUV, but I'm attached to my sweet little munchkin, she's been so good. I can't see myself trading her in unless I absolutely have to. So for those who deliver their cakes in regular ol' sedans, what measures do you take to ensure your cakes get to their destinations safe and sound? Anyone use the trunk? Back seat?

52 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 6 May 2013 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 53

AI always use the trunk and non skid mat under the boxes

jennilynn03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennilynn03 Posted 6 May 2013 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 53

I use my backseat.  Has worked for the past four years for me :)  I have had a few tiered cakes that I have been nervous about and put something underneath to make it a little more level.  

vgcea Posted 6 May 2013 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 53

Thank you for the responses :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I always use the trunk and non skid mat under the boxes

Do you find that the trunk gets too hot in the summer? I've heard of people who let down the back seat. Maybe so that the AC can blast all the way through to the back? Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennilynn03 

I use my backseat.  Has worked for the past four years for me :)  I have had a few tiered cakes that I have been nervous about and put something underneath to make it a little more level.  

Could you please explain how you prepare your cake for the trip? I mean SPS or dowels through all the tiers? Do you place in a cake box or some other contraption like the cake safe? How many tiers do you typically tarvel with this way?

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 6 May 2013 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 53

AI don't do a lot of cakes but I do deliver in my truck. If you don't want to trade your car in maybe invest in a cake safe that way you don't have to trade your car in and its a one time expense for the cake safe instead of monthly payments on a new truck.

ellavanilla Posted 6 May 2013 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

Do you find that the trunk gets too hot in the summer? I've heard of people who let down the back seat. Maybe so that the AC can blast all the way through to the back? Not sure.

Last May I drove 5 tiers from Orange County CA to Yuma Arizona. I only started to have problems when the temp was above 90 degrees, but even in the air conditioned house, the cake was melting (never again).Putting the seat down also works great to keep the trunk cool, but I find that short distance deliveries don't require it. As long as the sun isn't shining on the buttercream, there isn't any problem. 

However, since I started using the SPS, I don't stack it before delivery. I stack it at the venue. 

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 6 May 2013 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 53

Yup on a nonslip mat

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 May 2013 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

Last May I drove 5 tiers from Orange County CA to Yuma Arizona. I only started to have problems when the temp was above 90 degrees, but even in the air conditioned house, the cake was melting (never again).Putting the seat down also works great to keep the trunk cool, but I find that short distance deliveries don't require it. As long as the sun isn't shining on the buttercream, there isn't any problem. 

However, since I started using the SPS, I don't stack it before delivery. I stack it at the venue. 

Ha ha! And I've started out here in Yuma to go to LA, and I started feeling better about it once I got there. We have to use a lot of electricity for our ac's while making cake here. And delivering.

AZCouture Posted 6 May 2013 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 53

Near Orange, anyways, I know it's not the same area.

ellavanilla Posted 6 May 2013 , 10:43pm
post #10 of 53

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Ha ha! And I've started out here in Yuma to go [I]to[/I] LA, and I started feeling better about it once I got there. We have to use a lot of electricity for our ac's while making cake here. And delivering.

I don't know how you do it! By 9pm my cake was a soft, leaning mess. On the upside, the flavors were all melded and it tasted delicious.

AZCouture Posted 6 May 2013 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 53

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry carefully. :( And it really stinks when people don't listen to you about cool room temp upon delivery. icon_mad.gif

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 May 2013 , 1:47am
post #12 of 53

AI have the answer!!

I have a Nissan Altima. My husband built a "shelf". He also built shelves for his car now that we have the baby. It's flat board covered with non skid. It has tiny feet that go on the seat & foldable legs that reach the floorboard. It's perfect!

vgcea Posted 7 May 2013 , 5:40am
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

I have the answer!!

I have a Nissan Altima. My husband built a "shelf". He also built shelves for his car now that we have the baby. It's flat board covered with non skid. It has tiny feet that go on the seat & foldable legs that reach the floorboard. It's perfect!

*Why did I think of a cute little girl raising her hand in class like "Me, me, me! I have the answer!!" LOL*

You know, every now and then I read of these resourceful husbands coming up with the most wonderful cake ideas. How nice! Well some of us are just going to have to roll up a towel and stuff the back seat cos the shelf ain't happening. LOL.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 7 May 2013 , 5:48am
post #14 of 53

I love my little Toyota Corolla hatchback, It has heaps of room and the suspension is good , it isn't too high to get a cake in and out of . 

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 7 May 2013 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 53

I haven't tried it yet but I drive a little PT Cruiser. I have heard of one bakery-a mother/daughter team-that delivers their cakes in their PT Cruiser so I know it CAN be done. I know some of you are probably thinking, "Yeah right-that's a car." Not according to the dealers and the insurance agencies-it is, in fact (because of the shape), an SUV.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 7 May 2013 , 3:42pm
post #16 of 53

AI don't understand how fits in you car seat ? :-(

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 7 May 2013 , 10:30pm
post #17 of 53

Back seat of the car for me too.  I do the rolled towel thing, wooden base on top of that and non slip mats and have lovely big boxes designed for carrying tiered cakes all stacked and ready to go.  And I sit in the back with the cake while my partner drives.

I love the shelf idea though - might get him working on that!!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 May 2013 , 11:05pm
post #18 of 53

AGuilty! Totally me. Ever see Reese Witherspoon in Election?

Original message sent by vgcea

*Why did I think of a cute little girl raising her hand in class like "Me, me, me! I have the answer!!" LOL*

You know, every now and then I read of these resourceful husbands coming up with the most wonderful cake ideas. How nice! Well some of us are just going to have to roll up a towel and stuff the back seat cos the shelf ain't happening. LOL.

If you will come pick it up or pay shipping, I'll get mine to make ya one.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 7 May 2013 , 11:46pm
post #19 of 53

ADeliciousdesserts a picture can help :)

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 8 May 2013 , 12:30am
post #20 of 53

I have delivered in 3 vehicles, my car (a very old Infiniti with a large trunk), my sister's Subaru Forester and my husbands Honda Fit hatchback. 

Suspension makes all the difference. 

I will never deliver in my husbands Honda again.  Rough ride and did have slight damage to both cakes delivered that day. 

My car rides like a dream, but I hate having to pick up a lot of weight in the position I need to get the cake in and out of the trunk.  I prefer to stack as much cake at home as I can carry. 

The Subaru icon_biggrin.gif is really the best.  The suspension provides a smooth ride and it is comfortable to get the cakes in and out.  I am hoping my sister will want to trade it soon so I can buy it.  I have been looking for one for months now and boy are they expensive.  I'm hoping she'll remember all those family discounts I've given her on cakes over the years.

The only time I carried a cake on the inside of the car did not turn out so good.  I haven't tried it again.

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 8 May 2013 , 3:03am
post #21 of 53

Okay so this is tied in to this...my dad's birthday is coming up and I'm making mini cakes (think Wilton Celebrate It! miniature pans) and I have to deliver it in my PT Cruiser as my dad is disabled and can't get out, and Mama is at work and sister is out of town. So I have to make my first cake delivery...the PT rides good on the interstates but give me an unpaved road and it's like flipping a coin-cargo might be okay and might not. Suggestions? Thanks!

FYI I just read the statement about the rolled towel thing-could you please explain that? Thanks again!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 May 2013 , 3:18am
post #22 of 53

AI have a volvo wagon and it drives like a tank. It's nice and heavy, solid on the road and has a big old flat section in the back. I would never put anything on a slanted back seat...I like everything to be level. I need to start loking for a new car, though, since volvo isn't making the model car that I have anymore :-( When it dies I'll need to get something else.

vgcea Posted 8 May 2013 , 7:07am
post #23 of 53
Quote:

Guilty! Totally me. Ever see Reese Witherspoon in Election?
If you will come pick it up or pay shipping, I'll get mine to make ya one.

icon_eek.gif You would?! Super awesome!! *Flies off to PM land*

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 May 2013 , 12:42pm
post #24 of 53

AHa! Now I'm picturing you as Reese in that movie!

Original message sent by vgcea

8O  You would?! Super awesome!! *Flies off to PM land*

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 8 May 2013 , 1:21pm
post #25 of 53
Quote:

I have the answer!!

Great idea! We recently traded our mini van in for a Hyundai Sonata. I've used the trunk with no problem, but was a little concerned about hotter weather coming.
taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 8 May 2013 , 2:37pm
post #26 of 53

AI use the trunk off my station wagen.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 May 2013 , 4:39pm
post #27 of 53

AThis is the small shelf for the passenger seat.[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3002302/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2013 , 4:47pm
post #29 of 53

I deliver little tiered cakes sometimes, and I'll take a square cake dummy with a rolled up towel underneath that to make a shelf. Usually I use the flat compartment in my Honda Element though. Best cake delivery vehicle around, as far as compact-ish vehicles go.

cakesbylu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbylu Posted 8 May 2013 , 5:02pm
post #30 of 53
Quote:

This is the small shelf for the passenger seat.

What a great idea!!!!   Two thumbs up for husband!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%