How Do I Make The "ruffles" On This Cake?

Decorating By hav2 Updated 8 Jul 2013 , 2:35am by sweettooth101

hav2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hav2 Posted 6 May 2013 , 3:20am
post #1 of 8

Hello,  I am hoping that  someone can give me some advice on how to make the layers look like the ones in the photo.  Thanks for your help.

7 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 6 May 2013 , 3:44am
post #2 of 8

AWell it looks like they were kinda going for this look alittle but the one you show isn't so frilly but looks along the same lines.....maybe?

cakecentral.com/t/756281/how-much-should-i-charge-for-the-ruffled-maggie-austin-look-cake-per-serving/30#post_7390953

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 6 May 2013 , 8:57am
post #3 of 8

Looks to me like it's simply strips of fondant applied to the cake.

Cover your cake in fondant.  Then, starting at the top, glue the bottom part of the strip only to the cake and then

gently pull it out slightly.  Do different lengths of strips, but have them all the same width.  It also looks like the ends have been tapered down slightly.

HTH

Suzanne x

tmacmahon22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmacmahon22 Posted 6 May 2013 , 9:47am
post #4 of 8

I've done a fairly similar style before, but they didn't want it as feminine lol

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2999839/a/3345616/yellow-ruffles-wedding-cake/sort/display_order/

Time consuming, but not that difficult. Relznik has the right idea - cover the cake in fondant first, roll the fp for the strips thinly and cut them at different lengths, but the same width. Start placing the strips at the top of the tier and work down, making sure you don't stick them flat against the cake...curve them out a bit on the top edge to get the same effect as the cake above :)

Hope that makes sense and helps!

Tess

hav2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hav2 Posted 7 May 2013 , 4:21am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for all of the replies.  The suggestions are very helpful.  I just have one more question.  Would the top of the fondant that is pulling away from the cake be thinned in any way or would it be attached without doing anything after cutting?  Thank you so much for all your help!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 7 May 2013 , 6:08am
post #6 of 8

It doesn't look thinned to me, but I would soften the cut edge by running my finger over it lightly...  so it's more 'rounded' if you know what I mean?

Janelle1616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janelle1616 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:23am
post #7 of 8

I have someone that also wants this cake but in a Tiffany Blue color. Do you have any suggestions after making it (hopefully you have) that would help me out? @hav2 

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:35am
post #8 of 8

This video might give you an idea but you would be making your ruffle the other way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%