Rainbow Cupcake Topper Using Wilton Candy Melts

Decorating By mail2shweta Updated 6 May 2013 , 3:36am by FrostedMoon

mail2shweta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mail2shweta Posted 6 May 2013 , 2:26am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I'm a newbie both to cakecentral & candy melts.

For my son's birthday, I plan on making rainbow cupcake toppers. I purchased wilton candy melts in all available colors. I did go through youtube videos too about this. Can one of you experts' please guide me more about this:

1. Anything which I need to add to the Wilton candy melts?

2. How many days in advance can I make them?

3. How do I store them?

TIA

Shweta

2 replies
SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 6 May 2013 , 2:45am
post #2 of 3

HI Tia,

I'm new to this too but I just did a Cinco de Mayo cake using modeling chocolate with Wilton melts. first you  need to make modeling chocolate using a recipe. let it cool and harden for a few hours. Then knead it together. I shape square bricks out of mine.  I store mine plastic wrap in an airtight container. It will last for months or you can freeze it. How I noticed that the dry dull but I brought this stray on candy glaze that puts a nice shine on the chocolate after you finish making your item. I made my decoration 4 days out and I didn't have any problems at all.

I hope this helps.

DeeDee

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 6 May 2013 , 3:36am
post #3 of 3

ADepending on the effect you are going for, you don't have to add anything. If you want just candy melt rainbows, print or draw a bunch of rainbows the size you want on a piece of paper. Cover the paper with a sheet of wax paper, melt the candy melts in the microwave according to bag directions, and pipe the candy melts using the pictures as your guide. When they are cooled they will be solid and you can carefully peel them off the paper. Store them in an air tight container and they will last months at a minimum.

If you want to go the modeling chocolate route, google modeling chocolate and watch one of the videos. It's an easy recipe but there are tricks to make it turn out the best possible. This would give you more of a sculpting product and you could roll out strips or use an extruder to form the stripes in the rainbow. More work than just piping, but worth it if that's the look you are going for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%