A New Mixer!

Business By TheItalianBaker Updated 7 May 2013 , 10:56pm by shels475

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 5 May 2013 , 11:46am
post #1 of 12

Good morning everybody!!

I need to buy a new mixer to make cakes, bread, croissant.. 

but I need advices!! I usually used my mom's old mixer but it wasnt good for stiff mixtures like brioches.. 

I saw this one yesterday at Walmart, what do you think?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kitchenaid-4.5-Mixer-White/3215

11 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 May 2013 , 11:49am
post #2 of 12

That's the one I have and I love it.  If you do large volumes of baking, though, you are better off spending a little more for a 7 qt. mixer.

TheItalianBaker Posted 5 May 2013 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 12

i just moved in New Mexico from Italy, so I have to re-start my baking business here.. but that's my goal :)

I also found the new kitchenaid artisan at Target in sale, 280$!!!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 5 May 2013 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 12

AAnnabakescakes on here has a kitchenaid website where you cam buy them really reasonably priced.

Here's a 5 qt for $199 FREE SHIPPING

item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=160978564949

debm1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debm1 Posted 5 May 2013 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 12

If you can wait a while, go to Kohls (department store) and open an account. When you do, they send out mailers quite often with either 15% off, 20 % off, or 30% off your whole order, even sale items. Then, sometimes you earn what they call "Kohls Cash" to spend on a future order.

Here's what it's like:

Get a 30% off kohls deal on an order.

The Pro 600 Kitchenaid (6 qt.) retails at $549.99 at Kohls, but it's on sale for $449.99.

$449.99, less 30% coupon = $315.00. Then, you earned $60.00 in Kohls Cash for your next order. Spend that $60.00 toward an extra attachment for your mixer, or some really good spatulas. :) Then, to make life even sweeter, right now, Kitchenaid has a mail-in rebate when you buy that mixer: A pasta roller, and linguini cutter attachment set, which retails at $149.00. The pasta roller is AMAZING for rolling out gum paste and fondant. All in all, that's quite a deal. Oh yeah... free shipping, too.

They didn't have the Kohls Cash this past week when I bought my second mixer, but I got it for $315.00, and will be getting the pasta roller and linguini cutter set. So, I got $698.99 in Kitchenaid products for $315.00. Actually, they sent me 2 mixers by accident, but I called them up and told them, and bought the extra one, too. No, I wouldn't just keep it and say nothing. Honesty means more to me than the money. Now, I'll have 2 Kitchenaid Pro 600s and 2 pasta rollers, and one linguini cutter, but that's A.O.K. with me. Sometimes running 2 mixers at once could save me lots of time.My 5 qt. Kitchenaid in my home kitchen is just too small for some things I need to do. These Pro 600s are wonderful. I can make triple batches of butter cream and batter, etc., when the 5 qt. could only handle a double batch. That is a HUGE time saver when a big cake order comes in.

Long story short: Look for deals, and go for the 6 quart. Pro 600. A 4.5 qt. or 5 qt. is a great mixer, but if you're serious about caking, and can see the time where you'll be doing large cakes, you'll be happy to have the Pro 600.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 5 May 2013 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 12

I have had a classic for 38 years.  If you are planning on doing large volume baking, this isn't the mixer for you.  However, if you are just making things for yourself, family or friends; the classic will serve you very well.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 6 May 2013 , 2:37am
post #7 of 12

ASams Club currently has the bowl lift KA for $299, and you get a mail-in rebate for a $150 pasta roller attachment. That is one of the best deals out there, and you can use the roller for fondant.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 6 May 2013 , 3:13am
post #8 of 12

AI would think that there would be ads in this weeks news papers for kitchenaids being on sale because mothers day coming....just a thought.

Letty38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letty38 Posted 6 May 2013 , 4:27am
post #9 of 12

AI my KA from QVC. They often have it to where you can pay it off in 5 payments and you get it a few days after ordering. HTH :)

TheItalianBaker Posted 7 May 2013 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 12

thank you everybody! I dont want to spend more then $280 so I was thinking about kitchenaid artisan or the classic one..

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 7 May 2013 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 12

I just bought the KA artisan on clearance from my Home Goods store. Someone dropped something heavy on the box and it damaged the casing, but didn't damage the mixer, anyway, I check that clearance section all the time because these things happen. 

Home Goods has been carrying KA mixers though, I think this was priced at $250 before the crash.

shels475 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shels475 Posted 7 May 2013 , 10:56pm
post #12 of 12

I need a new mixer too.  I put one on layaway at Sears.com   Never had to go to the store.  I should be getting it in a few weeks.

Seems  like you have lots of options

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%