Need Whipped Cream Substitute For Picnic

Decorating By theparsons Updated 6 May 2013 , 5:25pm by 2txmedics

theparsons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theparsons Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 8

We're having an outdoor picnic in mid-May (in a city park so no electricity/cooling)....so I need a whipped cream type substitute that won't be a health hazard when not refrigerated and which also won't melt!  

In case it makes a difference, what I'm making is "Shortcake kabobs".   You cut shortcake into 1" rounds, cut strawberries into rounds, thread them onto a stick with whipped cream in between.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated....homemade or store bought.  Probably don't have enough time to order since the picnic is in 2 weeks. 

7 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 4 May 2013 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 8

I would make a stabilized whipped cream. Google it, and you will find a lot of recipes. Here's a good one:

http://bakedbree.com/whipped-cream

theparsons Posted 4 May 2013 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks!

Will using a stabilizer make it safe without refrigeration? 

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 6 May 2013 , 4:38am
post #4 of 8

I make my BC with no dairy products...I got  a recipe from a woman on here that has a Bakery in like New York...and I love it!!! Its smooth and you can get clean spreads...I live in Texas and we have HOT AND HUMID weather.

This BC stands outside in 97 degrees and is safe

theparsons Posted 6 May 2013 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics 

I make my BC with no dairy products...I got  a recipe from a woman on here that has a Bakery in like New York...and I love it!!! Its smooth and you can get clean spreads...I live in Texas and we have HOT AND HUMID weather.

This BC stands outside in 97 degrees and is safe

Would you be willing to share this recipe?   Thank you. 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 6 May 2013 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 8

I went and looked at the recipes for stabilising the cream.  It does not mention that this makes it safe to leave unrefrigerated, just that it will last longer without separating.  Have you maybe thought about making a mock cream.  Most of these are made with butter which can withstand being out of the fridge for a few hours.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 May 2013 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 8

You can also whip pudding into Cool Whip and use that, but it still needs to be cold.  Couldn't you just fill a larger bowl with ice and then set the bowl of cream in the bowl of ice?

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 6 May 2013 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 8

Basically all your doing if switching out the dairy part, ....What I use is I get either plain or flavored Coffee creamer, powder form......

I heat the water up about 6-8oz of water, in microwave....so its hot I make this much because it will keep in the refrigerator for a about 2wks, so If I have another cake I just heat it up.

I then add to the hot water, about 12-15 Table spoons of powdered creamer....and stir or shake the heck out of it so it mixes good. I add about 3 table spoons of DREAM WHIP to my PS mix...and thats it...it will crust really good and can stay out....Ive done this for sometime and Ive never had anyone get sick or complain on the taste, infact my BC is requested.

I got the recipe from a New York Baker....now Sharon Z...not sure if it can stay out in the heat long but she uses a flavored Wedding boutique, but she says you can use any flavor.

I work graveyard and just woke...and have a cake for my grandson to squeeze in between today and tomorrow....so as of right now I cant find my recipe that I put away....but this is it pretty much...but if you'd like when I dig it out...I'll get it to you. Just swamped, leave for work in like 4 1/2hrs...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%