Fondant

Decorating By jdaniellej Updated 2 May 2013 , 1:35am by KathleenC

jdaniellej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdaniellej Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 6

AHow do I make my fondant look like wood, I am making cupcakes for a tool party and I'm not sure how to make it look like wood!

5 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 6

I made wood grain on fondant using a toothpick and the claw gum paste tool. Draw on your wood grain and let the fondant harden, then I painted it with brown gel food coloring that I thinned with vodka. It turned out well, I think. :) Go over the places you want darker with a second coat. Here's the picture of the wood grain I made.

www.thecrumbcoat.wordpress.com

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 6

AThat looks good sixinarow. I used the pointed end of a modeling tool to make lines, which was enough, but of course I decided to airbrush parts to add dimension. For smaller pieces, I just marble several shades of chocolate fondant.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 2 May 2013 , 12:32am
post #4 of 6

This is a great link that provides instruction on several different methods of woodgraining, depending on the look you're wanting.

http://shelf3d.com/Search/how%20to%20make%20wood%20grain%20fondant

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 2 May 2013 , 1:10am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenC 

This is a great link that provides instruction on several different methods of woodgraining, depending on the look you're wanting.

http://shelf3d.com/Search/how%20to%20make%20wood%20grain%20fondant

That's a cool link! Wish I would've had that before I attempted mine! icon_smile.gif

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 2 May 2013 , 1:35am
post #6 of 6

Ya, it was really helpful when I was making my treasure chest cake.  icon_smile.gif  I took snippets from a number of tutorials and applied what worked best for that project.  I was pretty happy with the result.

Yours looks really good, too!

I Google everything to death.  Come up with all sorts of stuff useful (and useless icon_biggrin.gif ) information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%