Wilton Stainless Steel 8 Pc Set Vs. 10 Piece Plastic

Decorating By cserwa Updated 2 May 2013 , 2:55am by cserwa

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 1 May 2013 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 4

I'm going to Joannes to buy a gumpaste/fondant/molding set.  I was getting the 10 piece standard one, but then I saw that they have a brand new 8 piece stainless steel set.  By comparing what tools come in each set, it lists the tools differently, but I don't know if they're the same tools under different names to get everyone to buy BOTH sets and I am JUST now trying fondant flowers, so I am not familiar enough with the tools to know the difference.  Thoughts?  Obviously, stainless steel will be better quality and leave no seams, but do I need BOTH sets or does the stainless steel come with all I'll need for a beginner's set?  Here are both:





3 replies
Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 4

Some of the tools in the metal set can be used for flowers, but the metal set is made specifically for figure modeling, rather than flower making.  I did buy the new set, and have the old plastic set, and also have other tools from different manufacturers, and use them as needed for the project at hand.


But if your main focus is on flowers, then I'd either get the Wilton 10-pc plastic set, or buy from another manufacturer (such as PME) for a good quality metal/plastic set of flower making tools.

RedInLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedInLove Posted 2 May 2013 , 12:08am
post #3 of 4

I debated both, but when I realized the stainless steel set was more for the modeling and the plastic set had more tools I'd be able to use now, I bought the plastic set. I may eventually pick up the stainless steel set if I get into modeling.

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 2 May 2013 , 2:55am
post #4 of 4

AGreat!! Thx for insight!! I know what to buy! I think I will get a good stainless steel ball tool tho!

Quote by @%username% on %date%