Butter Cream Swirl Rose Cake... In The Fridge Overnight Or Not?

Decorating By Angels Bakery Updated 1 May 2013 , 4:22pm by Angels Bakery

Angels Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angels Bakery Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 6

ASo I have a cake due on Friday. It's a 3 tier covered in swirl roses (buttercream) I'm making it Thursday since it's so big. So my question is: if I make it Thursday should I keep it in the fridge overnight? Will the condensation ruin the roses when taken out? Or should I just put it in the fridge long enough to crust? Please help? ! :)

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 6

You do not have to put in fridge , unless you have a perishable filling, etc. hth

Angels Bakery Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 6
Angels Bakery Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 6

ASo it will crust on its own? I'm just scared of them melting off ={

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 May 2013 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 6

Icing gets hard in the fridge because of the fat content.

Icing melts when the melting point of the fat is reached.

Icing gets soft in between those two temperatures depending on how warm and how long and how much liquid in the icing.

So IF you can leave butter on your counter for overnight, then you should be able to leave buttercream icing on your counter and the swirls wil not "melt off".

Icing absorbs humidity if it is mixed with a lot of sugar and very little fat--the fat acts as "waterproofing".  You would also have to put the cake in the same room as a steam machine or shower for icing to absorb so much humidity that it starts to fall off the cake.

You do not know how icing will act in your own house.   Maybe it would be a good idea for you to read something from a book like "Joy of Cooking".  Or find yourself some other source that explains in plain terms HOW the different icings work.

There are other issues that you really have to deal with.  There are plenty of threads on Cake Central should you choose to do a search.  Also lots of government websites.

You are making a cake for somebody else.

Have you checked with your state/provincial government to find out if it is legal for you to  do this???

Have you read anything about food SAFETY handling before you make cakes for other people???

Are you using correct sanitary procedures EVERY TIME???

and no I sure don't want to know what your answers are...I'm doing my due diligence as a potential consumer. 

Angels Bakery Posted 1 May 2013 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 6

AThank you so much. I will check it all out :) And yes ma'am I've done my research and I am doing things correctly according to our laws :) I want to do this all the right way ya know?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%