Can I Bake Mango In A Cheesecake?

Baking By justangelinaxo Updated 1 May 2013 , 11:03am by AnnieCahill

justangelinaxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justangelinaxo Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:26am
post #1 of 4

ACan I bake mango in a cheesecake? I am so excited for Mother's Day and my mom just loves cheesecake and mangoes! So I thought, why not combine the two? But then I looked for recipes online and every single one was a no-bake cheesecake recipe! My mother's not a big fan of no-bake cheesecake..she likes the baked version much more. I saw on a website that told me the reason why: it said that when you bake mango, the cheesecake doesn't have a distinct mango taste, the mango flavor just disappears. But I want to line the crust of the cheesecake with CUBED mangoes and not mango purée, so I'm not sure if it would work or have the same effect. I don't have mango extract and I can't get any here or online (I know Amazon sells it but I can't ship it to my country) so what do you think? It's cubed mangoes, not purée! Will it have a mango taste? Thanks so much :) xo

3 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 11:36am
post #2 of 4

I made one last year around this time and peeled my mangos, cooked them down with sugar and a bit of lemon, made a very concentrated puree, and swirled it through my cheesecake.  You can garnish with more puree on top, with fresh slices on top of that with some whipped cream.

I'm not sure what would happen to the chunks inside after cooking if you just put chunks on the crust.

Liz

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 4

The chunks might end up making your crust go soggy, I do a ginger cheesecake with mango curd on top, that gives you a really punchy fresh mango flavour.

Otherwise I would suggest what liz said, and swirling in a puree.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 May 2013 , 11:03am
post #4 of 4

Definitely make a puree and swirl it in!  I think chunks of fruit in a cheesecake is kind of gross.  I would much rather have the puree with pieces of fresh fruit on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%