How To Make A Cake Look Like A Basket Of Flowers

Decorating By amyc88 Updated 29 Apr 2013 , 11:34pm by BakingIrene

amyc88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyc88 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 5

AHi, I'm very much a novice when it comes to carving/icing cakes, generally I would just put buttercream on top. Previously I have only made a camera and a shed cake, they looked like what they were but looked a bit messy.

My grans birthday is coming up and my mum has asked me to design and make her a cake like a basket of flowers, any advice on shape, how to make different flowers, do a basket effect would all be welcome.

Thanks, Amy

4 replies
ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 5

Hello there! I actually just recently made a basket cake with a bunny for Easter that I made a tutorial for. I am going to share it with you just so you can get an idea of how I made my basket but there are many different way to go about it. I used fondant and actually weaved mine but you could use buttercream with a basketweave tip. I have also seen fondant texturized with a brick texturizing mat that looks good as well. As far as the flowers go there are all kinds of tutorials online. Edna De La Cruz has a good rose and Cala Lilly you tube video. Not sure what kind of flowers you want to make but I could help with more if you give more specifics if you would like!

Anyways here is the link to my tutorial if you would like to see how I made my basket

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-happy-caker/easter-basket-with-bunny-tutorial/131108770407459

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 5

I do mine in buttercream like this http://www.wilton.com/technique/Basketweave

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 5

you really wouldn't need much carving at all, just use a 3d cupcake pan, basketweave up the base and then drop flowers all over the top.  Maybe sprinkle some crunched oreos or graham crackers here and there for "dirt."  If you've worked with fondant before, you could make the sides of the basket from fondant and stick them on to make more of a whisky-barrel effect.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 5

Bake a round or oval cake in two layers.  Let one pan have a little more batter, so that it bakes into a natural dome.  Use that for the basket top without any carving or fuss.

Then do the basketweave icing on the side as the Wilton link shows. 

Make buttercream flowers from stiff icing and freeze them.Pile as many frozen  flowers on top of the cake as you can fit, and then add green leaves wherever you can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%