Please Helps Make Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Figures!!

Decorating By stephg31 Updated 17 Aug 2013 , 8:04pm by proudmary1960

stephg31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephg31 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 7:47am
post #1 of 36

APlease Help! I'm newer to fondant & gumpaste work, but I love it! My nephew requested I make home a teenage mutant ninja turtle cake for his birthday. I've seen tons of awesome figures made, and my trial run went pretty well, but I'm a perfectionist and saw some AMAZING figures on cakes here. I haven't been able to find any tutorial on moldin the turtles, but was hoping someone here might know where to find one, or even be able to help me but telling me what works for them. Thanks sooooo much in advance!!!

35 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 8:32am
post #2 of 36

AI see a lot of cakes with just the turtles heads on the cake can be really cute.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=O-aAvAhufPI&feature=related

Kadesan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kadesan Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 10:43am
post #3 of 36

I hope these picture tutorials I found online (not my tutorials) help you. Best of luck and post pictures of your finished work :)

kazita Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 36

Am.youtube.com/#/watch?v=YEpIBtNL7ds&feature=related

stephg31 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 36

AThank you all so much for your help! Here's my trial run. Not horrible for my first try (ever) making fondant figures, but I'm overly critical of my own work, so I'll keep trying! ;)

LL LL

Moninha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moninha Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 36

I send you this site

Iguarias de Açúcar e Sal: Bolo Tartarugas ninja

I hope that help you make your own turtle cake.

Monica

sallysue302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallysue302 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 36

Stephanie, Just so you know you did a great job on your cake. I have no doubt you can do any design you put your mind to.thumbs_up.gif

morninglorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morninglorie Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 36

Your turtles are AMAZING.  I love the texture on the manhole cover too! 

stephg31 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 36

AThank you SallySue & Morning Glorie!!

sallysue302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallysue302 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 36

Morning to you! Hope to see more pictures of next project.

kazita Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 36

A

Original message sent by stephg31

Thank you all so much for your help! Here's my trial run. Not horrible for my first try (ever) making fondant figures, but I'm overly critical of my own work, so I'll keep trying! ;)

LL LL

Wow I'm impressed. Great job that cake is so very cute. Lmao I just noticed all the cake stuff in the background of your picture , looks like a true cakers counter. Again great job.

Quanda1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Quanda1981 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 36

Very nice, I have a grooms cake to make this month an I will try to replicate this. icon_smile.gif

stephg31 Posted 1 May 2013 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 36

A

Original message sent by kazita

Wow I'm impressed. Great job that cake is so very cute. Lmao I just noticed all the cake stuff in the background of your picture , looks like a true cakers counter. Again great job.

Haha, thanks! I have to quick take a pic before my daughter can get too close! Lol! I did cakes for my nephews 1st birthday, and in a split second (while my husband watched her) she made a spoon mark in my perfectly smoothed buttercream frosted baseball! :-( So now I take pictures first and clean second. Haha! ;-)

kazita Posted 1 May 2013 , 6:04pm
post #14 of 36

A

Original message sent by stephg31

Haha, thanks! I have to quick take a pic before my daughter can get too close! Lol! I did cakes for my nephews 1st birthday, and in a split second (while my husband watched her) she made a spoon mark in my perfectly smoothed buttercream frosted baseball! :-( So now I take pictures first and clean second. Haha! ;-)

Oh I'm just usually wanting to be done once the cake is done and I always am guilty of not immediately doing my cake making dishes. ...hehe my hubby is such a sweetheart that he usually feels for me and all the time that I put into a cake that most of the time he does the clean up. I can imagine with a little one you need to take a picture asap Again nice job.

stephg31 Posted 1 May 2013 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 36

A

Original message sent by kazita

Oh I'm just usually wanting to be done once the cake is done and I always am guilty of not immediately doing my cake making dishes. ...hehe my hubby is such a sweetheart that he usually feels for me and all the time that I put into a cake that most of the time he does the clean up. I can imagine with a little one you need to take a picture asap Again nice job.

Wow! Can I borrow him?! ;-) I admit, after all the time I spend, the tools usually sit for a day, or two, until I'm motivated enough to put them away! :-0 thanks again for the help and support!

stephg31 Posted 21 May 2013 , 6:07am
post #16 of 36

AWell, here's the finished TMNT for my nephew! He loved it! So did his big brother and his mom & dad! Although I've been told the green fondant left some colorful side effects that the 3 & 4.5 year old boys loved sharing with their friends! Lol! Boys will be boys! ;) LL

chrispitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrispitt Posted 21 May 2013 , 6:45am
post #17 of 36

Thanks all for new cake recipes .

allycrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycrumbs Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:01am
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephg31 

Well, here's the finished TMNT for my nephew! He loved it! So did his big brother and his mom & dad! Although I've been told the green fondant left some colorful side effects that the 3 & 4.5 year old boys loved sharing with their friends! Lol! Boys will be boys! icon_wink.gif
LL

Wow, Steph.. did you make the motorcycle and the crocodile out of gumpaste as well?

stephg31 Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:12am
post #19 of 36

A

Original message sent by allycrumbs

Wow, Steph.. did you make the motorcycle and the crocodile out of gumpaste as well?

No. Those are a couple of toys he wanted. I thought about it though when I couldn't find them anywhere! Lol!

allycrumbs Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:55am
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephg31 

No. Those are a couple of toys he wanted. I thought about it though when I couldn't find them anywhere! Lol!

Ahh.. believe it or not, I couldn't find a Mickey toy figurine either. My customer wanted it on the cake (more use to her son after than a gumpaste figure), but I had no luck anywhere so ended up making Mickey instead.

Great job on the cake! :)

stephg31 Posted 21 May 2013 , 1:20pm
post #21 of 36

A

Ahh.. believe it or not, I couldn't find a Mickey toy figurine either. My customer wanted it on the cake (more use to her son after than a gumpaste figure), but I had no luck anywhere so ended up making Mickey instead. Great job on the cake! :)

Thank you!! You made Mickey from scratch? Wow! Did you make that giraffe from scratch too? (The one in your profile pic) What lettering did you use? I love it!!

allycrumbs Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:06pm
post #22 of 36

Yup, I've uploaded the picture.. not sure if the link will work, but if it doesn't just check out my profile. My Mickey looks a bit silly tho, it's difficult to get him to look like the real thing! icon_redface.gif

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3013356/cake-and-cupcakes-decorated-with-fondant-kneaded-a-bit-of-cmc-into-fondant-to-make-the-mickey-figure/sort/display_order/

Yes, I made the giraffe as well. The letters are made using FMM Tappits (Google it).. it's a cutter and they have it in various fonts. It's a bit tricky to use at the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it after a few tries (and lots of swearing, if you're anything like me icon_twisted.gif).

stephg31 Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:32pm
post #23 of 36

A

Yup, I've uploaded the picture.. not sure if the link will work, but if it doesn't just check out my profile. My Mickey looks a bit silly tho, it's difficult to get him to look like the real thing! :oops:

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3013356/cake-and-cupcakes-decorated-with-fondant-kneaded-a-bit-of-cmc-into-fondant-to-make-the-mickey-figure/sort/display_order/]http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3013356/cake-and-cupcakes-decorated-with-fondant-kneaded-a-bit-of-cmc-into-fondant-to-make-the-mickey-figure/sort/display_order/[/URL]

Yes, I made the giraffe as well. The letters are made using FMM Tappits (Google it).. it's a cutter and they have it in various fonts. It's a bit tricky to use at the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it after a few tries (and lots of swearing, if you're anything like me :twisted: ).

Thanks!!! I need to figure out how to do all this molding. I just started using fondant and gumpaste. The turtle cake was my first attempt. Any class or product suggestions?

Haha! When I first went to take a cake class, my reasoning was so I could frost a cake without swearing...as much! Lol!

stephg31 Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:34pm
post #24 of 36

A

Yup, I've uploaded the picture.. not sure if the link will work, but if it doesn't just check out my profile. My Mickey looks a bit silly tho, it's difficult to get him to look like the real thing! :oops:

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3013356/cake-and-cupcakes-decorated-with-fondant-kneaded-a-bit-of-cmc-into-fondant-to-make-the-mickey-figure/sort/display_order/]http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3013356/cake-and-cupcakes-decorated-with-fondant-kneaded-a-bit-of-cmc-into-fondant-to-make-the-mickey-figure/sort/display_order/[/URL]

Yes, I made the giraffe as well. The letters are made using FMM Tappits (Google it).. it's a cutter and they have it in various fonts. It's a bit tricky to use at the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it after a few tries (and lots of swearing, if you're anything like me :twisted: ).

WOW!! That Mickey is awesome!!! I don't think he looks goofy at all!! How do you get your cupcakes flat? Just level them?

noveen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noveen Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:46am
post #25 of 36

Hi,

Amazing work!

How did you get that texture on the cake and the shine?

I am planning to make one for my son's birthday in 3 days..please reply soon.

Thanks

stephg31 Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:58am
post #26 of 36

A

Original message sent by noveen

Hi, Amazing work! How did you get that texture on the cake and the shine? I am planning to make one for my son's birthday in 3 days..please reply soon. Thanks

Thanks!! I lightly pressed a rectangle cookie cutter into the top of the fondant. But if you don't have one, if you look at my first TMNT cake on this thread (the one without the motorcycle and leather head) that one I just used a ruler and a veining tool and free handed it. I didn't have my cookie cutter with that day, so my teacher suggested i try it that way. Almost killed me in the moment, since I'm a tad OCD, but I ended up liking that better cause I could make sure they were the correct proportions to alternate between vertical and horizontal. ;)

The shine on top is just Wilton silver color mist. The silver crystals on the bottom are Wilton silver sprinkles. Hope that helps!! Good luck!

noveen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noveen Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:01am
post #27 of 36

Thank you very much. I will bake something tonight and will start decorating tomorrow :D Cant wait ... so excited and I have three boys and they will all love it :D and once again a job well done :)

stephg31 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:29am
post #28 of 36

A

Original message sent by noveen

Thank you very much. I will bake something tonight and will start decorating tomorrow :D Cant wait ... so excited and I have three boys and they will all love it :D and once again a job well done :)

You're welcome! Good luck! Show me when it's done!! The boys will love it! And if they eat the fondant, they'll get a kick out if the turtles "side effects" the next day! Lol!! Boys! ;)

rowantree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowantree Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:40am
post #29 of 36

Your cake is great! I really like the texture on your covered cake board,too. Is it from the Happy Birthday Impressions Mat?  The way it sits there with the rest, it looks like "street" texture and fits right in!  GOOD JOB!!

To avoid having such a thick "head" to eat all of fondant, you could shape them from Rice Krispie Treats, and then cover them with fondant.  Much more edible.

stephg31 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:57am
post #30 of 36

A

Original message sent by rowantree

Your cake is great! I really like the texture on your covered cake board,too. Is it from the Happy Birthday Impressions Mat?  The way it sits there with the rest, it looks like "street" texture and fits right in!  GOOD JOB!!

To avoid having such a thick "head" to eat all of fondant, you could shape them from Rice Krispie Treats, and then cover them with fondant.  Much more edible.

Yes it is. Thank you!!

My daughter and nephews really like fondant, so that's why I made the whole head fondant. I used the buttercream fondarific green for them, it tastes so yummy. Not my favorite for covering cakes, and not great if you want to make figures, since if doesn't ever really harden, but worked well for the heads. I'm doing a hulk fist for my friends sons cake topper, so that I'll def use rice crispy treats on!! Thanks!! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%