Gumpaste?

Business By TheItalianBaker Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 10:23pm by costumeczar

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 7:47am
post #1 of 10

how much does gumpaste cost in US and where can I buy it? 

I'm moving from Italy to New Mexico next friday, so I'm packing all my stuff.. 

I have some brand new gumpaste packages and I was wondering if it's worth it to mail them to the US or just buy everything there!

9 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 5:22am
post #2 of 10

Michaels, Walmart, or Joanns all carry it. Pretty much any store that sells cake decorating supplies. It really depends on your location as to how much it will cost. Usually $10-12 for 16oz bag.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 5:39am
post #3 of 10

At Joann's it is $11 for a 16 oz bag (Wilton's). Always have 40%- 50% off coupons, so if you buy them one at a time... about $6-$7. :)

ddus14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddus14 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 10

AI am having the same problem but the other way around. I moved to Italy from the US. Where did you used to buy the gum paste here in Italy??

TheItalianBaker Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 10

ddus14 there are many stores that sell cake decorating supplies in every city!

Where are you located now?

If you want, type on google something like "articoli per cake design" and the name of the city but I dont know if you can read italian.. 

Let me know where you live, I can put together some stores for you!

ddus14 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks so much!!! I live in Fucecchio (FI) Tuscany. I have been to Pisanpack and a couple of others in the area....but most of the stores I've seen are pretty incomplete. I can read Italian pretty well, however,  if you have the time I would love your help. Maybe I missed some... I will google as well.

Thank you again for your time and your help... its hard to come across people like you!

Diana

TheItalianBaker Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 10

here I am! sorry, crazy week here in Santa Fe for the Indian Market..

Anyways! I did my research online but I couldnt find anyone in Fucecchio! So maybe buying online would be better..

This seller has the satin ice and a lot of different stuff you might need!

http://www.idee-regali.it/pasta-di-zucchero-c-86/satin-ice-gum-paste-p-1430.html

;)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 10

Gumpaste is really cheap to make yourself, and it's not difficult to do. Have you tried that? $10-12 per pound (even $6-7) is high.

ddus14 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 10

AThanks ItalianBaker. This really helps. I didn't find any good place around my area either. I found one in Pistoia which I will go to, but it's a 45 minute drive....so it's not very convenient..... Costumeczar: I did find a couple of recipes on how to make gum paste but I need a specific ingredient that might be hard for me to find here in Italy. If I do, I will try myself! Thank you all!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddus14 

Thanks ItalianBaker. This really helps. I didn't find any good place around my area either. I found one in Pistoia which I will go to, but it's a 45 minute drive....so it's not very convenient.....
Costumeczar: I did find a couple of recipes on how to make gum paste but I need a specific ingredient that might be hard for me to find here in Italy. If I do, I will try myself!
Thank you all!

Is it the tylose or gum tragacanth? There are a few gums that are fairly interchangeable, so if you can't find one you might be able to find another one that you can substitute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%