Craftsy Class - Vintage Cakes

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 22 Oct 2013 , 3:36am by morganchampagne

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone taken this class? I'm considering taking this class and using the filigree technique for my daughter's baptism cake - how difficult/time consuming is this technique? Is the filigree something that could possibly be done ahead of time? Just wondering because I stay at home with my kids (2.5 and 11 weeks) so doing a super involved cake isn't doable right now, but I also want it to be elegant! The more I can do ahead of time the better. Here's the link to the class:

http://www.craftsy.com/class/vintage-cakes-modern-methods/127

Just wanting feedback! Thanks!!!

6 replies
sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 12:17am
post #2 of 7

I have taken this class and enjoyed it, lots of different techniques. The filigree cage can be made beforehand as it is made from royal icing. Just make sure you store in a safe place as it will be fragile. HTH.

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 12:39am
post #3 of 7

Great! Thank you! How exactly do you do the filigree? Is it just piping freehand, or is there a picture underneath you pipe over?

sweettooth101 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 7

Colette Peters does give a pattern of the rose cage in her course materials which is placed under wax paper and then piped.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 5:58am
post #5 of 7

AThis is an old thread I know, but I'm wondering if anybody Could say Its a good buy? I requested a refund from the a piece of cake class, I just found it completely out of step with my style. Nothing on her it just wasn't helpful to me.

Vintage cakes looks good but I don't trust reviews on craftsy. Although I did see one forms fellow CC member who I do trust. Can anybody back it up?

sweettooth101 Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:22am
post #6 of 7

If you like the vintage look  this is a good class and if you do fondant cakes.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:36am
post #7 of 7

AYeah I went ahead and purchased it...pleased so far!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%