Foreign Bakes

Baking By jojo1403 Updated 31 Aug 2013 , 2:54pm by de_montsoreau

jojo1403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo1403 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 16

AI'm from Scotland and am a member of a baking club, our next meeting we have, to make something traditional to another country, I wondered if anyone would have any ideas of something I could bake from where you live, obviously nothing from the UK :-)

15 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 16

I'm partial to the Norwegian Wedding cake (kransekake; also used on other special occasions) made with almond paste. It's easiest with the correct pans, but it can be made by hand-making various lengths of "snakes."

https://www.google.com/search?q=kransekake&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sjZ4UY2-IcvvigKJz4D4DQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1372&bih=756

Also, German chocolate cake is an American invention. Some people use both buttercream and the traditional coconut-pecan gooey topping. I prefer it without buttercream.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kransekake&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sjZ4UY2-IcvvigKJz4D4DQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1372&bih=756#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=German+chocolate+cake&oq=German+chocolate+cake&gs_l=img.3..0l10.26487.29655.2.29782.21.13.0.8.8.0.82.590.13.13.0...0.0...1c.1.11.img.9ODhfyvwVXg&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.cGE&fp=49bd5f6fd8ff31fa&biw=1372&bih=756

Black Forest cherry cake is German, a.k.a. Schwartzwalder Kirschtorte.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kransekake&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sjZ4UY2-IcvvigKJz4D4DQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1372&bih=756#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=black+forest+cherry+cake&oq=Black+forest+cherry&gs_l=img.1.0.0l5j0i24l5.186204.192107.0.196054.19.14.0.5.5.0.60.582.14.14.0...0.0...1c.1.11.img.fGYdnyycvUk&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.cGE&fp=49bd5f6fd8ff31fa&biw=1372&bih=756

Cheesecake is not a typical kind of cake, but U.S.-ians make it a lot. Do you make it in Scotland?

Then there's the Australian (and probably elsewhere) Pavlova (meringue). I suppose that's not really a cake, but it is a delicious fancy dessert.

HTH

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 16

Does it have to be a cake?

You could make Nanaimo Bars. Definitely Canadian.  icon_smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanaimo_bar

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 1:05am
post #4 of 16

Macrons! 

coke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coke Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 1:22am
post #5 of 16

Lamingtons  an  Australian treat. Lamingtons are very popular in Australia and consist of a small square (cube) of white cake (sponge, butter, or pound) that is dipped in a sweet chocolate icing (frosting) and then rolled in desiccated (unsweetened) coconut. I suspect their namesake, Lord Lamington (Governor of Queensland from 1896 - 190l), might be surprised at how popular these cakes have become. I am told that Lamingtons are sold in most Australian bakeries and sell very quickly at bake sales

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/Lamingtons.html#ixzz2RQxzE6qS

DriveMeBatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DriveMeBatty Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 5:18am
post #6 of 16

Mmmm, I love lamingtons! It's usually made with sponge cake, the chocolate icing used is a runny ganache (use it straight after making instead of leaving it to firm up), but depending on where you are the desiccated coconut can be difficult to get hold of. So good! icon_biggrin.gif

seamusis20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seamusis20 Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:35am
post #7 of 16

AYou can make all colour Lamingtons. My families favorite ( and I'm an Aussie) are pink Lamingtons. Probably because I have daughters. I make a gel out of raspberry or cranberry juice and wait till it sets to a colloidal point then dip your cake squares or whatever into the red then roll in coconut. Refrigerate for a little to let the coating stick then cut in half and cream & pop back together . Mmmmmmm. Cream in the middle is just an option some put jam as well. My daughters remember their Birthdays where I had a whole variety of colours. Chocolate is the traditional though. A fairly thin chocolate syrup. Then coconut. Oh. Now I am hungry. :-)

coke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coke Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 2:41am
post #8 of 16

I'm in Canada, my Mom made "Lady Fingers" in the same manor, but she used cut white bread fingers! They are my favorite Christmas treat! I suspect that this was a depression era version. 

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 4:38am
post #9 of 16

Mmmmm......lamingtons. Sponge is the traditional cake to make lamingtons with, but it's best to make them with day old sponge cake, otherwise it's too fresh and absorbs the chocolate rather than being coated in it. Also, it can break apart easily. Some people use butter cake for this reason.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 5:04am
post #11 of 16

AMedovik is one of the most popular cakes in Russia. It is also known as Honey or medoviy cake. It’s... - http://pinterest.com/pin/337066353330915076/

A honey cake from Russia

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 5:27am
post #12 of 16

dobostorta with hazelnuts is amazing!

It was my birthday cake growing up, and my favourite to this day. It's more work than a typical cake, but so worth it!

It's made up of thin layers of sponge, with a very rich chocolate buttercream, (almost a ganache texture/taste) and topped with crunchy caramel.

There are more modern versions with only 5-6 layers, and soaking the top layer of sponge in caramel and precutting it into a fan, (much easier to serve,) Joe Pastry has a good one on his blog.

Ours had about 20 layers, of paper thing sponge, and covered in hard caramel. The funnest bit was cracking it with the back of a spoon, like a giant creme brulee, lol.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 12:39am
post #13 of 16

AYum dobosh tort

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 6:08am
post #14 of 16

AI was going to suggest Kransekake too. I made my first one about a month ago for my friend's birthday and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be! You can also make it in advance as it needs to be frozen as part of the process. It tasted lovely (a bit like dry farleys rusks -though more chewy - if you remember them?). Lakeland sell a Kransekake pan. That's where I got mine. There is a pic of the cake in one of my albums (on my mobile so can't insert image). I made the Norwegian flags from edible printed rice paper and cocktail sticks.

elisaber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elisaber Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 11:35am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

I'm partial to the Norwegian Wedding cake (kransekake; also used on other special occasions)

It's rare I see references to my country here, so forgive me for nitpicking: But kransekake is not a wedding cake - it would be made for things like christenings and other large celebrations - but I've never ever heard of anyone who's used kransekake as a wedding cake. FYI :-)

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 2:54pm
post #16 of 16

Sachertorte, filled with apricot-jam, even though I'm not Austrian :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%