Help !!! Please I Need Someone To Tell Me If This Cake Is Okay Or Not

Decorating By pixxyscake Updated 29 Apr 2013 , 7:25pm by Love 2 bake

pixxyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixxyscake Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 19

Hi all,

I am new here and just started baking from home , my first cake was a barbie cake it was not too bad, I have just posted a pics of  the second one which is due for tomorrow its a golf theme cake I am worried sick it look bad , my fondant is MFF but its not really standing up to the humidity here , your honest comments will help me decide if i should start all over again .

18 replies
meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 19

AI think that's a great 2nd cake! Well done! Which parts are you worried about?

bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 19

looks good go for it

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 19

I think your cake looks really nice for a 2nd cake! You can't compare your cakes to so many on this site that are made by professionals or long-time home bakers. (I can't compare mine, for sure!) Your golf bag is really good. Your fondant looks about like mine does right now: not perfectly smooth, but definitely acceptable. Have confidence!  It's a nice cake.

(I have yet to upload any of my cake pics because I don't think they measure up, but that's my problem!)

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 19

I think you did a really good job for a 2nd cake.  The golf bag and accessories look great.

pixxyscake Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 19

thanks Meriem , I was worried that the fondant looks really rough and not sure if it was too busy

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 19

Do not start over ! It is a cute cake, my suggestion would be to redo your trees using parchment bags formed into a cone as a base for the trees and the #67 leaf tip. Using royal icing, starting at the bottom and going around the cone  pull out and downward "leaves" then go up a layer and continue. These trees will add height and look stronger. you can google royal icing if you don't have a recipe. I love the golf bag and T,flag and ball.

pixxyscake Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks everyone for the nice comments , I do feel better  and a bit more confident now , glad I don't have to start all over . 

I have to find a way to get my fondant smoother , but it was really hard to wok with and the ganache under was not too happy with the weather either . 

I can at least catch some zzzz today.icon_smile.gif

pixxyscake Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowercakes 

Do not start over ! It is a cute cake, my suggestion would be to redo your trees using parchment bags formed into a cone as a base for the trees and the #67 leaf tip. Using royal icing, starting at the bottom and going around the cone  pull out and downward "leaves" then go up a layer and continue. These trees will add height and look stronger. you can google royal icing if you don't have a recipe. I love the golf bag and T,flag and ball.

Thanks wildflower , for the tip , do you think I can find a tutorial on line ?

CakeBiteDelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBiteDelight Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 19

Look good!

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 8:09am
post #11 of 19

ANo worries :) it really is a great cake! I learnt with getting fondant smooth you need to have a super smooth base. I see your using ganache so that's good! Just keep practising I'm sure you'll be producing great cakes :)

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 8:32am
post #12 of 19

It looks great! Love the golf bag. Not that it needs it but I would put a puddle of blue piping gel in the blank area to simulate a small lake like they have at golf courses.

Here is a tutorial I found on you tube. You could definitely get away with using heavy paper for the cone instead of gumpaste like in the video.

Best of luck!

pixxyscake Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 10:58am
post #13 of 19

thank you for the link

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 19

The cake is just fine.  Yes you could make some improvements but why start from the beginning.  Whoever is getting this cake will be happy with your work.  But for next time and as you learn more down the road you can do do those.  

I would have covered the board with white fondant instead of the same green as the cake.  Would make your cake and the trees stand out more.  Work at getting a nice flat surface and smoother edges.  There are great tutorials to help with that.  One of the greatest things I've learned for that is that the cakes must be chilled.  

MMF is a bit tricky to work with on getting those smooth edges too.  You will learn thru trial and error, recipes and tutorials what works best for you.

Great Job!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 4:36pm
post #15 of 19

Better than anything I've ever done.

pixxyscake Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 11:33am
post #16 of 19

just want to come back and thank everyone that commented and help . I Got some feedback from my customer about the cake . She loved it soooo much , it was for a surprise birthday for her husband and she

said he was really pleased , she has asked me to make a Barbie cake for her daughters birthdays. so happy right nowicon_biggrin.gif

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 12:22pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn 

The cake is just fine.  Yes you could make some improvements but why start from the beginning.  Whoever is getting this cake will be happy with your work.  But for next time and as you learn more down the road you can do do those.  

I would have covered the board with white fondant instead of the same green as the cake.  Would make your cake and the trees stand out more.  Work at getting a nice flat surface and smoother edges.  There are great tutorials to help with that.  One of the greatest things I've learned for that is that the cakes must be chilled.  

MMF is a bit tricky to work with on getting those smooth edges too.  You will learn thru trial and error, recipes and tutorials what works best for you.

Great Job!

Hi pixxycake I agree with the comments from auntginn - honest, positive and inspiring. Great job for a second cake!  Good luck with your third cake - the Barbie doll - be sure you post a picture!

Happy Baking!

Margaret393

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 7:08pm
post #18 of 19

icon_biggrin.gif

Love 2 bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love 2 bake Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 7:25pm
post #19 of 19

Dont be so hard on yourself, this is what my husbands always saying to me,im abit of a worry bum when it comes to my cakes :) you cake cake looks great, lots of detail in your golf bag,im sure whoever its for will be more than happy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%