$ Question Regarding Cupcake Toppers.

Decorating By sugarflour2 Updated 26 Apr 2013 , 3:17am by lorieleann

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 1:39am
post #1 of 14

I've been asked to make 300 film reel cake toppers, the client is supplying the fondant.  I think that $1 a piece is fair for the time that I'll have to spend on them after working 9 to 5 in a bakery all day.  Do you think that's fair, too high, low?  I'd love to get your thoughts.  Thanks.

13 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:14am
post #2 of 14

AIt depends on how long it takes you to make them.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:41am
post #3 of 14

AIf you can make each topper in less than 3 minutes, $1 would be a fair price (assuming zero overhead).

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 7:13am
post #4 of 14

$1?

Stop selling yourself short.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 8:36am
post #5 of 14

Seriously?  $1 a dollar a piece?  Even if the customer is supplying the fondant, that is going to take you SO long to do...  you will be losing the will to live after about 30 of them.  $1 each is nowhere near enough.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 11:00am
post #6 of 14

ADepends on the detail and time involved. I have a feeling that after #99, you'll wish you'd charged double or triple that.

sugarflour2 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 1:13am
post #7 of 14

lol, Oh yes, just the thought of making 300 of the same thing makes me want to pull my hair out. Even though I was telling myself that $1 is fair, the amount of time it's going to take keeps gnawing at me and I know I'll be cursing myself after the first few.  I'd love to tell her $3 per, but I know she'll never go for it because "supposedly" she's giving them away at some kind of event.  I definitely agree, $1 is too low now to figure out price between $1 & $3.  Thanks for your feed back :)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 1:55am
post #8 of 14

A

Original message sent by sugarflour2

I'd love to tell her $3 per, but I know she'll never go for it because "supposedly" she's giving them away at some kind of event.  I definitely agree, $1 is too low now to figure out price between $1 & $3. 

Even $3 is probably still too low. Can you make each topper in under 9 minutes, start to finish?

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 2:13am
post #9 of 14

I don't understand all this ... having to price to PLEASE the customer.....

I so wish the car dealers would work like that

You work out the price it SHOULD be  - for you to be compensated PROPERLY for your time, effort and skill

If she'd NEVER go for it - then she misses out

IF she is 'giving them away' at some sort of event - that is HER donation - HER contribution ..... NOT your's

sugarflour2 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 2:54am
post #10 of 14

I agree with everyone, I quoted her $2 and that's way  to expensive, lol; she'll get back to me.  I was out of work for almost two years after leaving cake shop, so the extra $ could come in handy, but I've already been there, done that in the beginning and sooooo regretted it.  Perhaps if I wasn't working now, i would consider it because it would have been a little something coming in when I had more free time, but now with  little free time, working overtime for essentially free, would not make me a happy camper.  I'll wait for her return call with all the rest of the wives who have to check with their husbands regarding my pricing.

mariets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 14

I STILL wouldn't do those for $1 each.  I wouldn't do them for $2 each!

mariets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariets Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 5:23pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik 

I STILL wouldn't do those for $1 each.  I wouldn't do them for $2 each!

She's selling them for $2 each and these are even cheaper. http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/127662437/12-edible-fondant-hello-kitty-cupcake?ref=shop_home_active.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 3:17am
post #14 of 14

whenever looking at Etsy or online items, remember to calculate in shipping per item icon_cool.gif

When faced with fancy toppers and a budget that doesn't allow it, I also offer to do half the amount of cupcakes without topper, or one third elaborate, one third simple, and one third with sprinkles.  The display on the whole still has the look of the fancy cupcake, but with less $$

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%