I So Need Help With This One. I Can't Think Of Anything And Family Is No Help

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 24 Apr 2013 , 8:16pm by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 9:13am
post #1 of 14

My uncle past away a couple of weeks ago. He didn't want a funeral just a big party. We are having a barbecue for him on May 4th and my cousins and aunt have asked me to make his cake. First I thought of an edible image of him on his Harley but they had a problem with cutting up his image and eating it. Then I thought about just an image of his Harley by itself but they don't want any photos at all. They sent me a picture of the gas tank and want me to make a cake in the colors of the tank. The tank is dark blue with silver on the side with gold lettering highlighted by light blue. I was considering making a cake that looked like the gas tank but his urn resembles a gas tank. UGH! I can't just make a sheet cake with silver and blue and have nothing on the top I need help. Thank you for any help you can give me I really appreciate it. I am stressing out so bad right now. I not only have to make the cake with no clue of a design I also have to make 80 cheesecake wrapped strawberries, chocolate cupcakes and a potato salad. I would also appreciate a strawberry filling recipe that can be decorated the day before the event where the strawberries won't get to soggy.

13 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 11:13am
post #2 of 14

First, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle.  I understand how frustrating it must be to pick a design that everyone is happy with.  If I were you, I would just do a basic round cake with a masculine design such as blue fondant or buttercream with silver fondant stripes.  On top you can write "in memory" or "we love you" or something like that.  Maybe you could find a toy motorcycle to put on top, and you could give it to one of the children after the BBQ?  Just some ideas for you.

As for a strawberry recipe, here is one that has good reviews:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/strawberry-cake-filling/

Again, my condolences, and I hope everything works out with your design!

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 11:25am
post #3 of 14

AI'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to deal with the pain of losing someone and have the responsibility of creating a cake in their honor; not to mention preparing a ton of food!

I was sitting here trying to come up with something simple (not because I doubt your skills but just because you have a lot on your plate right now) to help but I must say that I really like annies idea and I'm sure to your family would love it as well.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 14

AHow about an edible image of the Harley eagle? It's kind of somber and celebratory at the same time, I think. https://www.google.com/search?q=harley+eagle&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=K4d2UbqyOaqr0AGKk4DQAQ&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 14

Sorry to hear about your uncle.  I also like the suggestion of the colors of the tank without the idea of looking like a tank.  Of course, tinting buttercream a dark blue will also tint everyone's tongue and teeth!  For some, that might be a nice light-hearted moment! 

Unfortunately, I also know the stress of feeling like you have to make something 'just right' for this but no matter what you choose it will be heartfelt for you and others will certainly appreciate it.  Just remember that nothing you actually choose could be wrong!

How about using blue and silver candies to make a chevron pattern, stripe or wave around the side of the cake?

Best,

Theresa

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 14

ADark blue icing can be a pain to make and eat. you could do an Ombré using the spatula technique it would work for either a round or sheet cake and 2 layer fondant lettering in the gold and light blue that says something like " celebrating life, we miss you".

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 14

AI meant to say ombré going from dark blue to silver/gray that way you don't have to make and eat a ton of dark blue

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by forjenns 

Dark blue icing can be a pain to make and eat.

Hmm. George Carlin had a bit about wondering why there's no blue food.

Quote (George Carlin):
Why is there no blue food? I can't find blue food - I can't find the flavor of blue! I mean, green is lime; yellow is lemon; orange is orange; red is cherry; what's blue? There's no blue! Oh, they say, "Blueberries!" Uh-uh; blue on the vine, purple on the plate. There's no blue food! Where is the blue food? We want the blue food! Probably bestows immortality! They're keeping it from us!
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 14

Oh...I like the idea of the Harley Eagle.  You could  make it personal by putting in the b/d dates, his name, etc. where the Harley info is. This is the one I'm talking about: (scroll down to the center of the page)

https://www.google.com/search?q=harley+eagle&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=K4d2UbqyOaqr0AGKk4DQAQ&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=9OlxxwAZ59tj7M%3A%3BVhQK_e1VksEifM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.totalmotorcycle.com%252Fphotos%252F2008models%252F2008-HarleyDavidson-105YearsLogo.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.totalmotorcycle.com%252Fphotos%252F2008models%252F2008models-HarleyDavidson.htm%3B900%3B983

Also, you don't have to make solid blue frosting.  I cover BC with highly colored frosting all the time.  I frost the cake with BC first, harden it in the fridge and then add a couple of thin layers of frosting.  Here's a blue cake I did.  The BC under it was chocolate (I've even put pink over choc before)

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2868571/a/3272689/thor-avenger-cake/

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 14

topper suggestion -- how about just the front of a bike (simplified, not too detailed), wheel/handle bars/tank, rising up out of puffy clouds...? maybe a tiny pair of wings sitting on the handle bars or tank...? the sheet cake could be color of sky with accents clouds...?

sweettreat101 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 8:58am
post #11 of 14

Thank you everyone you are awesome. Great ideas. Never thought of frosting the cake with thin layers of dark blue. What color did you use to get the dark blue on your cake? Looks like the dark blue on my uncles motorcycle. If I make a half sheet cake would you frost the sides silver the top dark blue or the top silver and the sides blue with a dark blue boarder? I thought about making a photo collage (real photo) on a dried piece of gum paste backing and lay it on top of the center of the cake displaying pictures from his life. This way they don't have to eat the image and they could keep the photo once the party was finished. They don't want to be serving up pieces of his pictures which I can understand. I also like the idea of the motorcycle coming out of the clouds with angel wings. Thank you for all of your help I feel the stress starting to fade. I just sent out about 20 emails trying to find some place local to purchase 85 large strawberries for the party.

lnelson 796 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lnelson 796 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:24pm
post #12 of 14

As far as the strawberries go, check out Sam's Club, that's where I always go for large strawberries for dipping, and they're well priced.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101 

Thank you everyone you are awesome. Great ideas. Never thought of frosting the cake with thin layers of dark blue. What color did you use to get the dark blue on your cake? Looks like the dark blue on my uncles motorcycle. If I make a half sheet cake would you frost the sides silver the top dark blue or the top silver and the sides blue with a dark blue boarder? I thought about making a photo collage (real photo) on a dried piece of gum paste backing and lay it on top of the center of the cake displaying pictures from his life. This way they don't have to eat the image and they could keep the photo once the party was finished. They don't want to be serving up pieces of his pictures which I can understand. I also like the idea of the motorcycle coming out of the clouds with angel wings. Thank you for all of your help I feel the stress starting to fade. I just sent out about 20 emails trying to find some place local to purchase 85 large strawberries for the party.

I used Americolor gel Navy blue...add a touch of black if it's not getting dark enough.  As far as the blue/silver placement on the cake, I think it just depends on what you think looks best.  If you're using photos, having a dark blue back ground would make them pop...but then it wouldn't look bad with silver as a background either.  Maybe pipe a silver border around the pictures if you use the blue on top.  Or luster dust a 'frame' made of gum paste in silver and use that as your picture backing. 

And as far as the strawberries go, I agree that Sam's is a great place to get them! 

You helped me on the Tres Leches cake that was part of the group of cakes I did that included that Thor cake I sent, so I'm glad if any suggestion I had helped you.    I am sorry so sorry for your loss and know your cake will be a lovely tribute.  

sweettreat101 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you Carmijok. They sent me two pictures in a slide show of his Harley and I haven't been able to get the images to download. The top of the tank is a dark blue and the sides are silver. I was thinking of frosting the top dark blue with the sides silver and a dark blue border or the sides dark blue top silver. Not sure how I would achieve a silver border. I was thinking the same thing about the dark border setting off the pictures but then I was considering the Harley coming out of the clouds idea to. I really appreciate all the help everyone has given me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%