Educate Me On Room Temp Frostings And Fillings, Pls

Decorating By newb2 Updated 23 Apr 2013 , 5:08am by RebecaR

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 12:11am
post #1 of 4

I am making a dessert for a dessert auction for my dtrs school (I'm not a professional). I'm planning on making a cupcake bouquet but the dessert will need to be able to sit out (inside) during the set-up/auction (~5hrs?). I want to be sure my frosting/flowers don't melt/wilt and I want to be sure it is safe to consume obviously. I was thinking of using swiss meringue buttercream frosting would this work? Also, I'd love to fill my cupcakes with a creamy filling (like bavarian cream?).....any suggestions, tips or recipes? tia.

3 replies
RebecaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebecaR Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 2:45am
post #2 of 4

Hello newb2, as far as Swiss Meringue Buttercream goes, it will be perfectly fine at room temp for your event. However, if you are planning on putting Gumpaste or Fondant flowers as a decoration, the fat in your buttercream will begin to break down your flowers within an hour or 2. So your flowers will soften up and probably get droopy. If you want a creamy filling that will be stable at room temp for up to 5 hours, I would recommend using Pastry Pride or Frosting Pride, it is a non dairy whipped topping and can be found at Smart and Final supermarkets as well as Sam's Club supermarkets. If you choose to use a Bavarian Cream filling, the cupcakes would have to be refrigerated in order to avoid anyone getting sick from spoiling dairy. Also due to the high amount of butter in Swiss Meringue Buttercream, if the cupcakes are to be refrigerated the buttercream would get hard and solid. So the cupcakes would have to sit out at room temp for about an hour and a half to 2 hours, so the buttercream can soften and have the best flavor and texture. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope I helped. ~Rebeca icon_smile.gif

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 3:36am
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much for the reply and info. I am planning on piping the icing to look like flowers so no fondant toppers. should be okay, right?

RebecaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebecaR Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 5:08am
post #4 of 4

Yes, if you are piping your swiss meringue buttercream to look like flowers then you should be fine. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%